DrugRating

Find, rate and review Drugs and Medications

Alesse drug reviews

Add a picture of this drug Save this listing Search again
Alesse
drug
Category:  birth control / contraceptives
Generic Name:  Lessina, Aviane, Lutera
Profile updated: 8/2/05    Submit profile update    Subscribe to profile updates

good quality
Rating: 3.7 out of 5 based on 90 reviews.

Drug Alesse has a good overall rating on DrugRatingz.com.

The following postings have not been substantiated by DrugRatingz.com.

New! - Questions and answers about this drug

Submit a news article about this drug Rate this drug
KEY Date

a

l

u

Comments

7/16/14   5     5     3     5   Be sure to check the pills and make sure it is ALESSE, and not ALYSENA. My pharmacy had given me the generic brand ALYSENA...even when my doctor had prescribe me Alesse. Anyway, T=this is the first birth control pill I've been on, and I have been on it for 3 months now. I haven't had any weight gain, or weight loss. However, I did gain one cup size. I have acne as well, but I don't think it has done anything for my acne, I still continue to get pimples. I was sexually active during the 2nd month of taking this pill and I didn't use any other form of contraceptive, and I still continued to get my period as according to my doctor, and the instructions that came with the prescription. During the 'sugar pills' that's exactly when my period starts. I also had part of this prescription covered by insurance so i only paid $22 dollars. I recommend Alesse because it gives me a peace of mind when I am on it. RID: 10264
Click to report rating
 8/27/12   4     1     5     2   Terrible side effects: extreme (50%+) hair loss (in 3 months), moodiness, depression, terrible acne after passing through all of adolescence without any, random crying bouts, varicose veins, cramps, headache, weight gain/bloating, nausea, and vaginal dryness. The hair loss was the real,deal breaker at 17 I really shouldn't be losing my hair and it's been almost a month for me off of BCPs and it doesn't seem to be slowing down. As for the acne it seems to happen to me on almost any BCP. The pill did what it was supposed to do as far as pregnancy was concerned by but the side effects made it unbearable. I regret taking this drug immensely and will never take BCPs again. RID: 8327
Click to report rating
 8/21/12   5     3     4     4   I have been taking Alesse for 3 months now and it is my first birth control pill. I didn't really notice any side effects until this past month and I thought I had it made. But this month, all my hair started falling out! I also had spotting throughout the month but that didn't really bother me. My doctor is reluctant to switch me so soon since it is my first pill and it's only been 3 months but the hair loss is really stressing me out. Has anyone else experienced this? Did you ever see improvement in the hair loss? Should I switch? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! RID: 8315
Read this rating's feedback

8/17/11   5     4     5     5   I have been on Alesse 28 for 2 months now and about to start my 3rd month in a few days. So far I feel like it is the right BC pill for me! I didn't experience a horrible initial breakout - My skin for the most part has stayed the same but has slightly improved.I did not experience nausea, hair loss or hair growth, decreased sex drive or moodiness. I always have gotten somewhat irritable during my period and still have my moments but overall I'd say (along with my husband) that Alesse has made me a lot calmer and less temperamental! The only side effect that I think I have experienced was fatigue for the first month but that also could have been due to my work schedule! Overall I love this pill and it's definitely a bargain for $7 a month! I'd recommend first time birth control users to start with Alesse 28 because so far it's worked out perfectly for me :) RID: 7909
Click to report rating
 7/1/11   4     1     3     3   Alesse.. Oh How i hated this Birth Control. i took it for the full 3 months. and i had INSANE mood swings. id break down crying over the simplist things i was very depressed and irritated so easily. like heres an example i was extremly happy one day until i accidently droped my bowl of noodles and my mood just plumeted. I was also VERY VERY Sleepy all the time, The only days where i felt really normal and happy was those 7 days were i didn't have to take Birth control. I am currently Now on Yasmin with no issues what so ever. It all depends on your body. every person is different so give it a try to see if it works for you. Sadly it didnt work out to well for me.Oh well.. RID: 7881
Click to report rating
 3/14/11   5     3     5     5   I've been on this pill (Aviane) for about 1.5-2 years.I found this pill very good in several respects.1) It regulated my period to the point my blood levels are much higher and I'm no longer considered severely anemic. 2) I have minimal cramping during my period 3) No long term side effects--no decrease in libido, or increase in moodiness or depression( though that could be b/c I used to suffer from depression so I know the difference). 4) My acne is controlled now and much better. I can actually anticipate when I will break out/have clear skin depending the week I'm at. I have gained about 10 pounds, though if that's because of the drug or because I'm now 20--I don't know. However, I noticed that hair loss is a side effect, and I have lost roughly 40% of my hair in this time...not sure if it is a result of this. If anyone has experienced hair loss because of Alesse, please post about it!~:) RID: 7765
Click to report rating
 3/3/11   1     1     3     3   I took Alesse for almost 7 years. It shortened my periods from 5 to 3 days. The first time I tried to stop taking it, I ended up in the emergency room with spiked blood pressure and a horrific migraine. After I finally got off of it, to have another child, I had all kinds of problems with weight gain, blood pressure, migraines, acne and infertility. Have not used any birth control in almost 7 years and still have not been able to get pregnant. I wish I had never taken Alesse. RID: 7747
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    2/18/11   5     1     4     4   I have been taking Alesse 21 for the past 6 days, and since day 1 I get nausea, I literally want to throw up! I then get like an upset stomach....which makes me eat. I've been getting big side effects? Does the side effects stop? Thanks RID: 7726
Click to report rating
 10/23/10   5     4     5     5   I went thru hell being on Yaz and I switched to Alesse & it was great. I figured it wasnt worth losing my vision and waking up crying in the middle of the nite. Im so glad I switched. However After being on alesse for over a year the health dptmnt stopd carrying it so they gave me generic (Lessina) I wasnt happy but it wasnt that diff. I experienced Nausea at the beginning of the packs and actually lost weight the longer i was on it. My skin stayed clear but had a few cystic pimples develope on my jawline but went away fairly quikly. Nothing 2 drastic. I had no cramps, 2-3day periods and i noticed I was alittle moody than with alesse. I also noticed spots of malasma but again disapeared which is another side effect. With alesse I had slight headaches and with lessina I had migraines every so often but the longer i was taking it the less i had them. Overall I think it did well for me. Everyone is diff. so you just have to find the right one for your body chemistry. Good luck RID: 7609
Click to report rating
 8/23/10   5     4     5     5   I have just finished the active pills on my first pack of Alesse (first time taking birth control as well) and I have to say the pill is great!! I still have my sex drive which is wanting to have sex always, and I haven't really been depressed or cried, I think i've cried less on this pill than regularly. Spotting has occurred but that is normal for the first 3 months of use, and it isn't that bad just light spots once and awhile. I guess the most people write reviews here if the pill has been bad for them because I think the pill is wonderful and would recommend it to anyone!! RID: 7548
Click to report rating
 7/24/10   5     3     5     5   I've been on Lessina for 6 months. Minimal side effects compared to those I experienced on the evil pill Yaz, but still some: weight gain - about 10 pounds all in my thighs/hips that I can't lose no matter how much I diet and exercise, pain in my **** before my period, some increased moodiness, decreased sex drive, but it's not entirely gone like some people have said. For me, the worst is by far the weight gain, but it's different for everyone and I have trouble keeping weight off to begin with. For a positive, I LOVE how it's regulated my period. I get it exactly every 28 days on a Sunday! I've never been regular before. Overall, I would definitely recommend this pill. RID: 7511
Click to report rating
 6/25/10   5     5     5     5   I've been on Aviane (a generic of Alesse) for the last month and I have to say it works beautifully for me! I was worried that I'll be suicidal and crying everyday from reading all the negative comments about this pill, but seriously, I didn't experience any major side effects: no spotting at all, no headaches, **** are not sore, no major mood swings, no pain, and most importantly - it totally cleared out my acne! I've got a gorgeous complexion now :) I used to be on ORTHO EVRA patches, I liked the convenience of it, but the hormonal level was too high and it gave me a lot of pain in my **** and acne. So it looks like that the lower the dose like Alesse is, the fewer the side effects. So guys don't get discouraged by the negative comments and try it out! :) RID: 7478
Click to report rating
 3/8/10   2     2     5     2   This pill has killed my libido, and i have had constant BV and yeast infections. now my last pap was and i have to go in for a colpo! there is also a lot of breakthrough bleeding. anxiety. i havent had sex in almost three weeks bc of infection but i just really dont want to! even tho i do want to... ugh so confused. im going to a specialist next monday, and im finishing this pack and then done with it! RID: 7366
Click to report rating
 1/23/10   5     3     5     5   I think Alesse works well and cleared up my acne, but I wouldn't recommend smokers to take Alesse though. When I used to be a smoker, Alesse gave me severe migraine once a week. I stopped and switched to Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo. Now that I stopped smoking, I wanted to give Alesse another chance to see if it still gives me headaches. This is my first week and I'm feeling mild headaches. I'll give it another month to see if they will go away. Hopefully I don't have to switch again. Bottom Line: IF YOU'RE A SMOKER, STAY AWAY FROM ALESSE OR IT'LL GIVE YOU SEVERE MIGRAINES!!! RID: 7315
Click to report rating
 7/30/09   4     1     3     3   I agree 100% that this pill is just not right. I was on Tri Cyclen for 2 years and then went off Tri Cyclen for 2 years, I stopped because I broke up with a long term boyfriend and then broke up with him and was really busy with school and work that I decided I had no reason to be on the pill. Now 3 years later I decided I need to go on the pill again, I have been on Alesse for 5 days now and I have completely gone suicidal, I cry for no reason, I wake up from my sleep crying? I don't know what is going on but I regret even thinking of Alesse to be an option. I am going crazy, I am treating my family and close friends like crap because I am totally psychotic now. RID: 7019
Click to report rating
 4/3/09   5     5     4     5   I have switch from Try-Cyclen Lo to Alesse recently (This is my 1st month on Alesse). I love it! I used to be extremely crabby and moody while on Tri-Cyclen, and Alesse has finally tamed that. No spotting so far (But I heard that happens when you take package to package, back to back to prevent the placebo week/period from happening -- which is what i plan on doing next week) I feel like I have better moods, and less cravings than I did on the other. I will update on how the back-to-back pills work. RID: 6802
Click to report rating
 2/8/09   5     1     1     1   I've been on this pill for one months now. Since I started I have become depressed and cry for no reason. Yesterday was my last pill for the month and it was to the point where i burst into tears about 10-15 times during the day. Also my **** have been really sore for almost the whole month and I have almost no sex drive. RID: 6643
Read this rating's feedback
Click to report rating    1/6/09   5     4     3     3   I have been on alesse for three months now and i find it to be very effective. My sex drive is excellent and i have not gained weight, but i do have extreme cramps on day 1 of my period which i never used to have, and my **** are pretty much always sore. Does anyone know if these side effects will go away? I thought the pill was supposed to make your cramps better? RID: 6541
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    12/22/08   1     1     1     1   I have never been so frustrated and angry in my life. I cry all the time, just reading these responses made me cry. I have bleeding almost ALL the time, bleeding during or after sex, and it comes either very light or EXTREMELY heavy to the point where I think I might've cut myself. Huge mood swings, I'm always scared to do anything sexually because of the spotting and it's just so annoying. DO NOT TAKE ALESSE!!! I'm considering going off birth control altogether because it just really isn't worth it. The only brightside is that my skin is very very smooth and glowy. But that's hardly worth any of this stuff. Just, DON'T do it. RID: 6465
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    12/18/08   4     1     3     3   I have been on this pill for just over a month. I used to have breakouts just before my period but as soon as I started taking this pill my skin flared up to the point where I didn't even want to leave my house. I have had horrible mood swings, crying for days at a time. I have had no weight gain but have experienced cravings and times where I have no appetite at all. Some spotting but it did help with my cramps. Would not reccomend it because of the effects it has had on my skin and the way it has changed my mood. Switching to Ortho Tri-Cyclen after this pack. RID: 6441
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    12/2/08   5     1     2     2   i just started taking this pill, and i have cried every day at least once, and i can not concentrate at all on what i am doing and i am very sleepy, i definatley think that i will be switching, however i am still awaiting some breast enlargement! RID: 6349
Read this rating's feedback
Click to report rating    12/2/08   5     1     5     3   I've been on the generic form of this drug, Lutera, for the past year or so...and my sex drive SUCKS! Not only is that terrible, but this bc has caused face & back acne that I've never had, and breakthrough bleeding through most of the month. I guess if the purpose of this birth control is to make you feel so unattractive that you don't want to have sex, then it works! good riddance, i'm switching back to my ortho-lo! RID: 6342
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    12/1/08   5     5     5     5   I have only been on Alesse for about 3 months now, and so far all has been great! I have experienced no side effects yet, not even weight gain so that makes me feel good! This month I will be starting Aviane so we will see how that goes, OR if there will be any side effects! LEts hope not! RID: 6322
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    11/6/08   5     3     4     5   I've been in Aviane the generic brand of Alesse for about 4 months now and ive been pretty satisfied. The first month that i began taking he pill, i was spotting daily but right when i started on my second pack, it went away. It cleared up some of my acne. It also caused my breast size to go up by a whole cup. Overall, i like this brand of bc because it is effective (i've had mishaps and im not pregnant). It's also pretty cheap, which helps out a lot. RID: 6168
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    11/2/08   5     2     2     2   For the first few months i felt great. short period lighter no side effects. iv been on it for over a year. i have had constant yeast infections. all the time. some months i would be bloated for the whole month. and recently the past few months my periods have never been longer and heavier in my life and my cramps and major pms came back. i have noooooo sex drive and im lazy and tired. i blame it on this pill. i am switching TONIGHT to loestrin and iv only heard not to good things so wish me luck. but every women is different. just plan on buying a LOT of monistat RID: 6137
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    10/29/08   4     2     3     3   I've been on Alesse(aviane) for 4 years (non stop) and recently got off of it. Like others said, it totally decreased my sex drive to the point where I don't even need contraception! I was on it for that reason only and decided to get off because I started noticing the other side effects--especially the constant yeast infections, and crazy mood swings. I've been off for five days and hope to return to my normal self soon. In the meantime I'm hoping to find contraception that will not have so many side effects! RID: 6111
Click to report rating
 10/28/08   5     1     4     3   I had no idea that birth control pills could cause chronic yeast infections until now. I've been on alesse for a few years now, and besides the TOTAL lack of sex drive, i've not had any other side effects...or so I thought. I've seemingly had a yeast infection every time i've gone to the GYN for the last year or so...and most of the time they're pretty much asymptomatic. Most of the time I don't know I have one until my PAP results come back...and i'm a person that's pretty in touch with her body... My GYN now wants me to have a Hemoglobin A1C level drawn tomorrow to rule out diabetes but I really am now thinking it's a hormonal problem and plan to bring that idea up tomorrow as well. I'm really frustrated! All I want is effective birth control without tons of side effects...is that absolutely IMPOSSIBLE? RID: 6103
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    10/20/08   5     2     3     2   This pill gave me great protection but tons of side-effects. The depression that I felt was the worst, everything was a crisis and I cried everyday for about 3 months. I've been on Alesse for about 7 months now and I find that the depression is better but still lingering. Besides the depression I had my period for 3 weeks straight during the first month, I lost 10 pounds and my usually clear skin started to develop strange, under the skin kind of pimples. The side-effects all faded after 3 months except for the depression, so I think that I might switch to something else soon! RID: 6070
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    9/22/08   5     5     5     5   I have only been on Aviane (the generic version of Alesse) for about one week, and although I told myself I would not write a review on it until the end of my first packet, I had to write one now because this pill is AWESOME!I was originally on ORTHO TRI CYCLEN LO which made me BREAK OUT worse than ever with lots of painful cysts etc.,and DRIED OUT/THINNED MY HAIR! I asked the campus health clinic to switch to Ortho Tri Cyclen and they were like "are you crazy?! That is just a higher dose -- it will make things WORSE!" and, although I wasn't too happy, they prescribed me Aviane(the generic for Alesse). I looked up reviews for it and many good reviews came from previous otc lo users who had bad experiences! And after only around one week, I have had pimples literally fall of my face!!! My hair is also much healthier!!! I have not noticed much change in my **** yet, but you never know;D IF ORTHO TRI CYCLEN LO DID NOT WORK FOR YOU, TRY AVIANE/ALESSE!!!:D ps: aviane is really cheap too!:D RID: 5863
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    9/12/08   5     5     5     5   I think everyone has different body chemistry so you need to find the progestin that works for you. I have been on the Loestrin type of progestin (Norethindrone) and sex drive was GONE and I was moody...as soon as I switched back to another version of Levlite/Alesse/Aviane (which now I'm on Lutera) it has made a difference. Try to remember that what works for one will not work the same for the next. Keep track of the BCP's you've been on and which ones are grouped in the same Progestin...then you'll know what works best for you. I've never been on the OTL, YAZ or what not...but if it ain't broke... RID: 5784
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    9/12/08   5     1     3     3   This BC is one of my least favorites (The worst was YASMIN). Alesse has made my sex drive non-existent. OTCL has least effected my libido. I went from having sex 2 to 3 times a day to maybe once a week, which was guilt motivated. What is the point of birth control if you do not want sex, is that why it is effective? I went off this stuff because my prescription ran out and I didn't have time to renew it. Well I have noticed my libido is back after a week, not completely though. I can't believe how drastic of a change my libido has gone through since I got off this stuff and good riddance. IM BACK BABY! RID: 5781
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    9/10/08   4     1     1     1   Well, I've never been pregnant but this pill is AWFUL. I've been on about 5 different types of pills from Ortho to Alesse (Aviane) and I've become a nutball. I was ok for the first 2 months but this month has been the worst rollercoaster of my life. Complete moodiness and my sex drive is nonexistent. My poor boyfriend is tired of it. I don't want to talk to anyone and it's hard for me to get out of bed. I was going to see the doctor about my depression but then I got on this site! Thank goodness!! I'm only 27 and I was ready to get on Zoloft to get this depression out! I also shed A LOT!!! I thought that it was just b/c I have thick hair!! Thank you for enlightening me ladies. I'm getting off the pill for awhile. WISH ME LUCK!!!! RID: 5767
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    9/8/08   1     1     1     1   they are all the same, this is my conclusion; this is the third pill I'm trying, and after 3 months I am experiencing breast enlargement, bloating and some weight gain ( about 5 pounds), and this is very annoying as I would really like to lose some weight after childbirth ( my babygirl is 4 months); in addition I am really crazy some times, I am fighting with my boyfriend for nothing, but sometimes I can't help getting angry and crying...also, I've been bleeding for 10 days now, it's like a light period...VERY ANNOYING...I will finish this pack tomorrow, and I'm done with pills, no more, I want my body back; girls, just keep in mind, ARTIFICIAL hormones are no good for your body!!!! RID: 5729
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    9/4/08   5     3     5     4   I was prescribed one of the generic forms of Alesse called Lutera. The side effect which caused me to have to stop this pill was anxiety. I noticed immediately I was emotionl and having panic attacks; in addition, to overall anxiety. I also noticed an 8 lb weight gain. I am curious if the many generic forms of this pill are what is causing so many of us to have side effects. After all, each generic medication has different fillers which may be the culprit. RID: 5708
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    8/20/08   5     5     5     3   I love Alesse, I've been on it for years. My skin is wonderful, there are no side effects, it works. It's gentle and effective. It also helps regulate my mood during period time. I LOVE IT! RID: 5630
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    8/17/08   5     4     5     5   Im only taking the pill to regulate my cycle. Without the pill i have really irregular cycles so my OGYN put me on Aviane three months ago. The only negatve thing i realized is that im much more tired and i tend to sleep much longer and still wake up feeling exhausted. the other thing is, that aviane made me lose weight(from 125 to 117 within 2 months) and my breast size increased by a whole cupsize RID: 5603
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    8/9/08   1     1     1     1   i am writing this to warn anyone who wants to take this birth control pill in order to help acne breakouts that happen around and during your period. i took this pill for one full cycle (21 days) and experienced the WORST acne breakouts i have ever experienced in my entire life. my chin and cheeks broke out in cystic acne and so many whiteheads that became infected. i would absolutely not recommend this pill to anyone looking to deal with acne. i have switched to tricyclen lo and my face is slowly getting better.. those 21 days i was on alesse were the absolute worst 21 days of my life. i didn't want to even leave the house because my acne was so bad. so don't take it!!! RID: 5553
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    7/30/08   5     4     5     4   I have been on Alesse for 2 and a half years now and have never had any sort of bad side effects. My **** got bigger, my periods were completely regulated, cleared up my skin, good sex drive... only negative is that lately my cramps have been unbearable around my period but other than that, never had a negative experience with it. I've forgotten to take my pill by 8 hours once and I didn't spot or start my period early, everything worked out.. Not that I reccommend forgetting your pill!!! But just saying that I have forgotten it many times and taken it hours later and never had an issue with that. All I'm worried about is that some people say that if you're on one brand of pill for too long it loses effectiveness, and I like Alesse so much, but what if I need to change pills? Ahhhh I don't look forward to that day. RID: 5499
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    7/30/08   5     4     5     5   I've been on Aviane (the generic for Alesse) for 3-4 years now. It's worked well for me. I don't seem to do well with triphasic pills (like Yasmin, ortho-tri-cyclen, etc.) and have really bad mood swings, lightheadedness, etc. But with monophasic pills I do really well. I was on ortho-cept for many years until I became very depressed every month before my period. I switched to Aviane and everything was wonderful. Lately I have had occasional breakthrough bleeding and days of extreme breast soreness, but I'm not sure I want to give up on this pill. Overall I've been very happy with it. Hard to say whether it's affected my sex drive or not - I'm 31 so it may just be naturally decreasing anyway. Give this one a try! RID: 5498
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    7/17/08   5     1     3     2   I had been on Alesse since I was 15. I am now 21, and earlier this year I started having stabbing pains in my abdomen. The doctors thought that it was an ovarian cyst, but after multiple tests and blood work, there was nothing wrong. I went off the pill, and everything went back to normal. no more pain, and my periods were heavier like in high school. All in all Alesse was great. I never got pregnant once. but the pain that i got near the end scared me enough to stop taking it. RID: 5402
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    7/9/08   5     5     5     5   I just started on Alesse a few weeks ago and so far it makes me feel fantastic! I've never had such a high sex drive or enjoyed sex so much as I have lately! I love it, what a difference!! RID: 5350
Click to report rating
 7/4/08   5     3     5     5   Overall I am very happy with alesse. I experienced breast tenderness and mood swings in the first three months of using it but they subsided after that. I feel dizzy and nauses the first pink pill of each pack and I am currently experiencing insensitivity of my sex parts which now I am unable to get to the big O during sex. I do not want to swtich pills because I have hardly experienced and side effects BUT I find it pointless to stay on birth control that interferes with my sex life. It causes my fiance and I great frustration when I continuely cannot finish during sex especially because this was not a problem until I started this pill. :( Overrall this pill is good except for the whole insensivitive sex parts :( RID: 5316
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    6/29/08   4     1     4     5   I was on Aviane/Alesse for 8 or 9 months and it made me go crazy. I partially went on OC's to help control how emotional I got around my period and it made it so much worse. i tried to wait it out. But everything would make me SOOO angry or make me cry. I made me really pessimistic and I'm not normally that way. I'd recommend a tricyclic OC if you need help controlling your moods. The positive side is that it's such a low dose that the morning sickness that normal strength oc's give me wasn't there. I never felt sick from it and nothing else fluctuated in my body other than my moods which were totally irrational. RID: 5279
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    6/17/08   4     1     3     4   For about 2 months now I've been taking Aviane, which is the generic brand of Alesse. (Same effectiveness, just cheaper in price). It's still early to tell, but so far all I've seen are negative side effects. I'm way moodier than I was before, I have an increased appetite which has cause me to gain weight, and my acne has gotten worse. Also, twice now I've experienced abdominal pain which at first I thought was a sign of PID, but after reading other reviews I blame this bcp. I'm only on it because of my boyfriend. I'm going to wait it out and see how things are after the third month, as I hear the first three months are the most difficult. Oh, I also feel depressed sometimes, and my sex drive has decreased, not majorly, but it's definitely noticeable. For those of you experiencing mild or no side effects, consider yourself lucky. I only rated it a 4 in effectiveness because it's preventing pregnancy. (Knocking on wood) RID: 5210
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    6/13/08   5     1     2     1   This made me absolutely psychotic. Had my period the entire time I was on it,and caused MAJOR MAJOR depression. Was on it for only a month because I cried everyday and became INCREDIBLY angry over the tiniest thing which only got worse as time went by. RID: 5183
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    6/10/08   5     2     3     3   Alesse made me go crazy! I've been on it for 8 months and it has made my emotions super intense. I have had such crazy mood swings, almost to the point that I would say I've been depressed. I feel so bad for my boyfriend because I must come off as a complete nut case most of the time. It definitely didn't decrease my acne, in fact it made it worse. I am starting tri-cyclen lo next month, hopefully that works better. RID: 5157
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    5/20/08   5     5     5     5   I feel weird giving a good review in the midst of so many bad ones. After 8 years on various tricyclic hormone BC pills, my doctor switched me to Alesse/Lutera. I've only been on it for a little over a month, but I'm already so grateful. I had no idea just how bad tricyclic BC pills were for me until I got on Lutera. After the first week my mood improved, my libido came back from the brink of death, I've started losing weight, and most incredible of all is that my girlie-bits have regained IMMENSE sensitivity. I didn't know how phyically numbed/insensitive my 'bits were until I got away from the tricyclics. Being on Lutera is like getting the sexual side of myself back after having lost it for the better part of a decade. The tricyclic BC made it so that I didn't want or enjoy sex (making BIRTH CONTROL sort of redundant), but Lutera has been making me feel wonderful. I can only hope this lasts. RID: 5014
Read this rating's feedback
Click to report rating    5/6/08   4     2     5     3   I was on alesse for 6 years and recently have gone off of it. I realize now what a difference it made. I was depressed, lethargic, and irritable but I never thought the pill could make such a difference in my overall attitude and demeanor. I also had a lot of fatigue and I gained 20 pounds. I craved a lot of food and now that I'm off of it I am eating regularly and not excessively. Overall, I liked the pill when I was on it and it worked well and I didn't have breakthrough bleeding like many report, but now that I'm off of it I'm scared to even try another pill for fear of the same side effects! RID: 4919
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    5/5/08   4     1     1     3   I've been on Aless for about 6 months now. Throughout the entire time, I've been dealing with a lot of spotting. I went on it to help with my acne (made the switch from Diane 35) because it was a lower dosage of hormones. TERRIBLE. Acne has worsened, bad bumps/blackheads on my back, and acne on my chest. For teh past two months, I've had spotting mid-month that lasts until my period comes. Not really recommended as its low dosage of hormones has been extremely sensitive to my body! Will be switching back to Diane 35. RID: 4915
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    5/4/08   1     1     1     1   Ive been on Alesse for 4 months now and i want to switch over to something else as soon as possible! It has caused my acne to get worse and i keep bleeding in between periods.I get severe adomanal pains and i always seem to be depressed and misserable. It makes me very easily irritated. Ive also gained weight on this pill when i eat healthy and am involved in sports and run every morning. I even got pregnant while taking this pill!!! i would not recommend alesse to anyone. RID: 4901
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    4/29/08   5     4     4     5   I switched to this pill after being on Yaz for three months. Yaz was horrible for me! I had severe mood swings, would cry at the drop of a pin, and would often feel lethargic and depressed. I also had a decrease in my sex drive. All of this has stopped with Alesse. People should know that different pills affect people in different ways and that if they don't like the first pill they try to go to their doctor, tell them why they don't like it, and try something new. This is what I did and I'm so glad I didn't just stop taking BC pills altogether. RID: 4869
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    3/25/08   5     1     4     1   im am horrified with alesse cause ive never had my period so much in my life. i sont know what it is but i bleed for up to 2 weeks at a time. RID: 4598
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    3/12/08   5     1     2     2   I have almost been on Alesse for three months now and i have definately noticed mood swings, i would cry alot, and i would get more zits and pimples than what is normal for me. I haven't really noticed a difference in my sex drive, but i guess that would probably come with time. I rated the effectiveness as a 5 because my bf and i use condoms with BC so the chance of me getting prego is slim to none. I am going off the pill because so far it hasn't worked for me and all the horror stories are scaring me. RID: 4501
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    3/6/08   5     5     5     5   i've been taking alesse for 4 years and have never had any problems with it. never had a pregnancy scare or anything, didn't gain weight, didn't get breakouts, nothin. i love it! RID: 4431
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    3/4/08   5     1     2     2   I took alesse a few years ago to regulate my periods and I was fine. Now I'm taking it as BC and also to regulate my periods, I've been on it for 6 months and just this month I started to get random bleeding every week or two. I also have no desire for sex anymore. RID: 4416
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    2/18/08   5     5     5     5   ive been taking alesse for abouta year and a half and ive have no side effects at all and my sex drive has never been higher and i actually lost weight when i started taking it. i have very mild pcos which caused me to get extremely sick and throw up constantly when i got my period but that has completly stopped since taking alesse RID: 4328
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    2/16/08   4     3     5     5   I have just recently started taking alesse. I haven't really had any problems yet! I have only noticed that after I take it, for about an hour or so I feel completley disconnected from the world, and a litt dizzy at times. It usually goes away and then I am fine again. Reading all of these comments about decreased sex drive is really starting to get to me, though! I hope that doesn't happen for me! Other than the dizziness I have found this pill to be great so far. No bad side effects as of yet! RID: 4315
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    1/31/08   1     1     1     1   i started taking alesse and within less than two weeks i noticed break outs, and not those little pimples, but the ones deeper underneath the skin. and my mood was unbalanced. i experienced mood swings and found that i was more aggressive. i would not recommend this pill to anyone, and reading everyone else's comments helped me realize that my behaviour recently is a result of this hormonal addition. i stopped taking Alesse right away. RID: 4210
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    1/8/08   3     1     3     3   I found, on alesse, that the first three months were kinda rough, mood SWINGS, lots of spotting and decreased interest in things I normally love doing. If I took a pill late it was like I'd have almost a full period just from taking it late, not even missing a dose. Also, 5-6 months after I started taking I got really sick. All my bloodtests came back fine but the doctor thinks something triggered my body to start going crazy kind of like a "fight or flight" except it's like both going off at the same time. I could barely leave my house to get to the doctor. Now, 9 weeks later a doctor has me on some medication that may or may not work. I am very healthy, am rarely sick and have only gone to the doctor ever for injuries. The only thing that changed in the last few months was starting Alesse and I think it may be connected with all the hormones getting messed with. I've heard similar stories so... I've stopped Alesse and will have to find something better. Thumbs down for me. RID: 4067
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    12/30/07   5     1     5     4   Eh, reading comments here kinda made me glad since it made me realize something. Been on this pill for YEARS to regular my periods and I NEVER had any sort of sex drive whatsoever. Heck, the thought of sex irritates me (I'm so not interested) and I always wondered why. Guess I found the culprit. I'm worried about switching pills, though. I have clear skin, never gained weight... I wouldn't want that to happen. If it wasn't for having a BF now, I wouldn't consider switching. But lack of sex drive might be an eventual problem... RID: 4004
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    12/27/07   5     5     3     3   I didn't notice any weight gain, but I found my skin got worse than usual around my period. I also felt emotional unstable (I cried a lot, and felt very hopeless and restless), but at the time I started taking it, i was going through some really hard things. All in all, the side effects were minimal, and my skin has been looking a little better than it did before (I am at the 3 month mark). I would definitely recommend alesse! RID: 3969
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    12/18/07   4     2     3     3   I have been on alesse for 6 months. I started taking it for serious pain and it has completly taken away the pain :). But mood swings(like random breakdowns), no sex drive, nasea and missed periods(which can be good, but sometimes scary) happened often. Im happy theres no pain, but the side effects are difficult to control. RID: 3937
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    11/25/07   5     2     4     4   I mainly wanted BC to make me less insane. Too many mood swings! Lutera did a great job stopping my mood swings. But i have had complete loss of sex drive!! I am switching pills ASAP. RID: 3823
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    10/9/07   5     4     5     5   I was on Yasmin. Change to Alesse because I was getting sick to the stomach taking it. I've been on this BCP for 3 months now. I broke out a lot the first 2 months and felt sick whenever I take it. I guess my body was getting used to it. Now my acne is clearing up and I don't feel sick anymore. I don't see any difference in my libido. Actually feel crazier towards the end of the pack. RID: 3465
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    9/27/07   5     2     5     3   I've had a seriously decreased sex drive, and weight gain, however I can't be 100% sure that's the pills fault, but after reading some other ratings I have a funny feeling it is. It is effective, and even thought I bled practically my whole second month, it works great for it's purpose. Overall, it's great if your partner doesn't mind that you don't want them to touch you... RID: 3394
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    9/17/07   5     1     3     3   I had been on Diane 35 for over 5 years because of acne problems and had no side effects other than decreased libido -- which I only noticed when I went off the pill for 1 mth and realized I had forgotten how sex was like before I went on the pill. My doctor recommended Alesse and the libido got even lower. In fact, I started to reject sex altogether; didn't even want to be kissed. In addition to that I got VERY depressed, irritable, had problems sleeping and nausea. I only took Alesse for one week. Could not take it any longer than that. I will talk to my doctor about other acne treatments. RID: 3294
Click to report rating
 9/7/07   5     5     5     5   I called the manufacturer, Wyeth, and they have stopped production for Alesse...it is gone and I'm gutted! RID: 3229
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    8/10/07   5     5     5     5   Alesse was the best pill. It has been discontinued on my area for some reason. I had not one side effect. I have been on at least 15 other different BCPs and had nothing but side effects. I hope the manufactorer reconsiders and starts making it again!!! RID: 3052
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    8/7/07   5     1     3     5   Yeah, i definatly prevents pregnancy but as far as side effects go...it SUCKS!! i have been on Lutera for 2 months and have gained 12 pounds. i run every day and eat a VERY healthy diet but i cant seem to get rid of the weight. this pill also has caused me to break out more than usual. however, i have been experiencing less cramps and lighter bleeding during my period. i do not reccomend this pill if weight gain is going to be a decideng factor for you. RID: 3035
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    7/27/07   5     4     2     4   This pill is excellent, short and light periods, cleared up my acne, however I did gain weight which I was not happy about. No cramping either. However i had a hard time getting it. RID: 2907
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    7/20/07   4     4     5     4   This is the first BC pill I have been on that doesn't have a lot of side effects. I do get really tired and nauseous for a couple hours in the middle of the day, but other than that, I haven't gained any weight or had decreased libido. However, I do get really moody the week before my period starts and that had never happened before. RID: 2858
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    6/18/07   5     1     5     5   I have gained ten pounds since starting lutera. I also have experienced yeast infections every month since I started taking it. I am switching to another pill this week. RID: 2662
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    6/1/07   5     5     5     5   i have been on alesse for 3 years now.. and it has been great. i use it for contraceptive and for acne. its worked wonders for me. no weight loss, higer sex drive, and acne completely cleared up. RID: 2484
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    4/10/07   5     1     4     4   I was on Alesse for 5 years. I bleed for two weeks straight before my body adjusted to the hormones. After that period, Alesse regulated my period and provided excellent BC. I stopped taking Alesse when I wanted to get pregnant, and developed really bad acne on my face, chest, and back. After pregnancy, my hormones have finally leveled out and my skin has cleared up, but I am scared to go back to Alesse because of the acne flare up when I am ready for another pregnancy. RID: 2197
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    2/23/07   2     5     3     3   I felt great on this pill- no moodiness- but after having a four day period every 31 days on the dot, alesse made me bleed for 2 weeks straight- every 2 weeks. Not worth it. Now i take depo- love it and haven't needed to buy tampons in a year! RID: 1741
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    2/21/07   3     1     5     2   The first 6 months were great. Cleared up my acne, cramps were gone, period was regular. The only downside was the 10 pounds of weight gain. But after 6 months, it was all downhill. I was VERY moody and emotional. I gained more weight, and my skin was a mess. My cramps were intense, and my period would come and go as it pleased. I had been on Alesse for a little over a year. I have since switched to Tricylcen, so hopefully it works out a little better. RID: 1734
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    2/21/07   5     4     5     5   I have been Alesse for 5 months now and have noticed my sex drive decreasing, I'm glad to know now that its from the pill. Other then lower sex drive am very pleased with Alesse I had no other side effects other then some spotting before my period so I'm a little disapointed that I have to switch because I can't deal with having hardly no sex drive I'm only 19! RID: 1731
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    1/15/07   5     4     4     5   I was nervous about starting on this pill because a few of my friends had gotten depressed, plus i was worried about weight gain. But, i have experienced no side effects from the pill except occasional spotting, and also spotting after sex at times ( which i am not certain is entirely due to alesse). In terms of weight gain, if anything i may of experienced slight weight loss! i feel like myself and i look like myself :) so it's all good. i'd recommend trying this pill RID: 1499
Click to report rating
 1/14/07   5     4     5     5   I took Alesse for about 2 years & was really pleased with it. The only problems I had were increased acne (cyst-like) & occasional spotting in between periods. This drug did not make me lose or gain weight. RID: 1479
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    11/28/06   5     3     5     5   The first 3 months of this pill, i was dizzy, and depressed. I lost my appetite well into the7 to 8th month. Lost ten lbs, and I feel like I look great now. I guess I would say I'm happy with this one, it wasn't too bad. Never threw up or had any stomach nausea, so overall I liked it. But now I'm hearing they're going to stop making this one, so my doc switched me to Lessina. Hope this one is a piece of cake ... wish me luck. RID: 1286
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    9/7/06   3     1     3     1   I used to have "perfect" skin b4 taking this pill - now I have horrible "cystic-type" acne flareups that seem to be coming up for no apparent reason (other than starting to take Alesse less than a month ago). I am going to quit these pills and start taking a new BC pill from India called Centchroman or "Saheli" - it's supposed to have a 2% failure rate and no side effects - Has anyone else started to notice bad breakouts AFTER starting on Alesse? RID: 1016
Click to report rating
 9/5/06   3     4     4     4   Worked well if I had been taking it for birth control, was taking to control problems and pain of endometriosis, didnt work ended up needing surgery. RID: 960
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    8/27/06   5     2     5     2   I have been on Alesse for almost 5 years. I was very happy with my boyfriend at the time and we always had sex and it was great. But after some time being on the pill I noticed I HATED sex. I didn't want to have anything to do with it. I just got off the pills last week and I am hoping to get back to the way to use to be. I am sure my husband now will appreciate it. I also use to get very bad chest pain before my periods and very light headed after. I am looking forward being off this pill. RID: 854
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    5/19/06   5     5     4     5   I'm not using this drug as BC but I am using it to regulate my periods, and I have stopped them altogether. I have noticed some spotting, but nothing too major. I found that I did gain some weight on this pill, and have experienced some other not usual side effects. While most women complain about low sex drives while on Alesse, I have experienced an increased sex drive. Also, I do not have mood swings anymore. Overall, this pill really works for whatever you decide to use it for. RID: 673
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    12/8/05   5     3     4     4   When Alesse first came out, I was on it for Endometriosis. It worked very well, but due to a blood clot (not from Alesse..I had an IV Line that caused the blood clot in my neck and arm), I had to stop it. Recently, I tried it again for contraceptive reasons, and it caused severe ****l dryness. It didn't do this the first time I took it though. Guess my body is changing. RID: 479
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    10/18/05   5     1     4     4   try this out and see if it works for you, but i wasn't happy with my lack of sex drive. and as i read the other ratings of alesse, i see that i wasn't the only one! it would have been all good if it wasn't for that.. but killing the sex drive is NOT COOOOOL. i was on this pill for 2.5 years and i was totally less randy than before i used them.. then i stopped using them a couple of months ago and i'm back to normal. anyway... i recommend this if you're not sexually active and you want clearer skin and a regulated period.. but stay away from it if you notice your libido changing after a month or 2 of using it. by the way, my doctor receives a 2 rating for telling me that he doubted my decreased libido was related to my birth control pills.. darn him. RID: 369
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    9/8/05   5     5     4     5   I have taken over 5 types of birth control. I quit taking them all because I became extremely moody, gained 20+ pounds, my sex drive became low, got headaches, yeast infections, etc. This is the first medication that hasn't had ANY side effects for me. I am so thankful to have found it. I know you can also get it for much cheaper at Planned Parenthood, especially if you go to/live in a college town. Thank you Alesse! RID: 254
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    9/2/05   5     2     5     5   This is my second brand of pill. The first was Ortho-Tricyclen Lo and both it and Alesse completely killed my sex drive. No wonder no one gets pregnant on this s**t! Benefits: I skipped my period when my boyfriend came back in town after a 13 month absence!!!! But he's been back now for 2 months and in the past five weeks we've had sex once! But Alesse does wonders for my acne when nothing else works. No other side effects experienced. Can't wait until they perfect bc pills 4 men. RID: 219
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    8/28/05   5     4     5     4   I had taken Alesse for 3 years. It didn't have any side effect, such as weight gain, acne, and moodiness. However, I wasn't interested in sex at all when I was taking the pills. RID: 196
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    8/2/05   5     4     4     3   This is the only BCP that doesn't cause horrible side effects for me. No weight gain, no acne, and no crazy moodiness like others have caused.I haven't gotten knocked up, so I'll assume that it's effective :) RID: 49
Rate this drug

Add these ratings to your own website
* Rating left by a registered user

Best Rated Drugs in birth control / contraceptives