DrugRating

Find, rate and review Drugs and Medications

Cymbalta reviews

Add a picture of this drug Save this listing Search again
Cymbalta
drug
Category:  depression / anxiety disorders
Generic Name:  Duloxetine
Manufacturer:  Lilly
Website:  cymbalta.com/index.jsp external link
Profile updated: 7/21/05    Submit profile update    Subscribe to profile updates

average quality
Rating: 2.8 out of 5 based on 35 reviews.

Drug Cymbalta has a fair overall rating on DrugRatingz.com.

New! - Questions and answers about this drug

Q: Does it cause thrush?    Email me    Answer it

Submit a news article about this drug Rate this drug
The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by DrugRatingz.com.
KEY Date

a

l

u

Comments

2/6/13   1     1     1     1   Going off 60mg Cymbalta after eight months caused brain zaps (VERY uncomfortable and disconcerting) for two months at random times. Also even more alarming were DAILY migraines even though I was coming off the drug relatively slowly. The commercial says to contact your doctor if coming off the drug. The prescribing doctor knew nothing of the protocol (THERE IS NO PROTOCOL!) and neither did the SECOND doctor I went to! I went off of it for about six months but my LOW BACK pain due to severe skeletal issues was unbearable and I wondered if the Cymbalta had helped. I knew the risks of withdrawal, but was DESPERATE as chronic, constant pain is also depressing and causes anxiety! So I am back on it now for two months. There has been no improvement in my back pain and I must now face the HORRIBLE withdrawal again! This drug should be taken off the market. Read the committee votes of the FDA....NOT effective for arthritis and MINIMUM help with low back pain. Wish I had known two months ago! RID: 8428
Click to report rating
 11/22/10   1     1     1     1   I was on Cymbalta 60 mg/day for 2 years. It never helped to resolve depression or chronic pain. It did cause severe nausea, severe constipation, muscle spasms, fatigue, lethargy and apathy. I was content to do absolutely nothing. Then came suicidal thoughts, hair loss, severe sweating. The drug is not made in a dose low enough for comfortable withdrawal which I was not aware of so I went through a hellish withdrawal with hallucinations, nightmares, severe agitation, severe breathing problems & asthma, increased hair loss, weight loss, no desire to eat. I would recommend avoidance of this drug if you are offered an alternative. RID: 7639
Click to report rating
 8/31/10   5     1     5     2   HAIR LOSS, EXCESSIVE SWEATING, INSOMNIA Taken 5 months for fibromyalgia. Yes it helped with the pain and made me cope better with stresses. Yet the side effects became intolerable at about 4 months. I called Eli Lilly about the hair loss since it is not listed as a side effect. Also, reported to the FDA. All online now, only takes a few minutes and includes prepaid postage. I am so tired of drugs that I try helping me with pain but then have such horrible side effects! The FDA needs to hear about it. Eli Lily stated that they don't have to report anything under 5%. Anyone else having hair loss problems as a side effect should also call the company and report it to the FDA. RID: 7559
Click to report rating
 4/4/09   5     4     5     4   I have been taking 20mg for about a year for disc/back issues. It helps there along with other drugs. A nice side effect is that it add a little humor to everything for me. I'm a "stress-free" zone now :-) I do notice dry mouth int he mornings (I take it just before bed at night at Doctors recco). RID: 6805
Click to report rating
 11/23/08   5     3     3     2   I have been on cymbalta for 2 years. I take 60mg BID. Pro's: More effective than SSRI's (paxil/prozac/zoloft/etc).... Helps a good bit with neuropathic pain... Very effective antidepressant................Con's: Month supply would cost me $250-$300 dollars if i didn't have insurance..... Makes my stomach bleed like crazy if I take NSAIDs....Side effects are somewhat more common/more pronounced as compared to SSRI's........ Bottom line: If SSRI's are helping, but not quite enough and/or you have neuropathic pain, then I would recommend Cymbalta. If i were a prescriber I wouldn't use it as a first-line antidepressant but it seems to work quite well...... just my opinion (i really wish this site would let me and breaks/use the enter key so i could organize reviews better) RID: 6258
Click to report rating
 11/9/08   1     1     1     1   My first anti depressant and my last. I only ended up taking this for a week and half, and had to stop because it made me feel so sick.I was puking my lungs out the whole time I was taking it, I couldn't eat anything for a week and a half= I lost a lot of weight. In the morning I would wake up and feel like I just OD'd on speed and my pupils were HUGE- I was very shakey and suffered from dimensia. I had no idea what was going on around me and I felt drunk/high 24/7. My vision was so blurred that I couldn't read or focus on anything. It made me feel fake. It helped with my anxiety a bit, not my depersonalization or depression. It also gave me a yeast infection that took a month to get rid of. I hated it. Sometimes I felt too lovey but most of the time I just felt so pissed off and suicidal. I had major headaches and even a couple of brain zaps after getting off of it, even though i was only on it for less than two weeks. RID: 6182
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    11/3/08   2     4     4     3   I have been taking Cymbalta for less than a year; I have tried numerous others (Paxil, Celexa, Cipralex) all of which stopped working after a while, usually a very long while!! Well, Cymbalta has stopped working already! It started off great - mild nausea the first few weeks and very tired, but those side effects disappeared, along with the depression. Less than a year and here I am, already having to look at switching again. From the posts I've read, here & elsewhere, this seems to be par for the course (it starts off great, then stops working and getting off of it is a rocky road!). My mom warned me to stop taking it or try something else, because it's not going to be fun switching. If anyone has any suggestions for what to try next . . . RID: 6143
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    9/16/08   4     1     2     2   I took this medication for a year. It was great for about 8 months. Then I started to gain weight rapidly. My eating and daily activities didn't change. My doctor weaned me off of it. It caused horrible withdrawals.(headaches, body aches, anxiety, brain zaps, moodswings) RID: 5802
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    9/15/08   3     1     3     1   I have been on 60 mg for 4 months and I can wait to see my doctor so I can switch to something else. The very vivid nightmares and halluciginic dreams are too much!!! RID: 5796
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    7/19/08   1     1     1     1   I took my first dose of cymbalta last night. It made me drowsy yet I had major insomnia. I woke today feeling like a zombie. Also sick to my stomach,headache, and the sweats. I will never take this drug again. Don't recommend it! RID: 5422
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    7/15/08   4     3     5     3   On week 1 of cymbalta. Switched from Lexapro 20 mg due to horrible sexual side effects. Have much more energy and motivation. Helped curb my drinking, I don't crave alcohol like I did on the lexapro. Cymbalta is ok, atleast I got my sexual desire back. All in all lexapro is terrible concocted by Lucifer himself, cymbalta is fine for now. RID: 5388
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    7/11/08   1     1     1     1   OMG, I hated this medicine. I was taking it for fibromyalgia, and all it did was make me sicker b/c of the side effects. RID: 5363
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    7/11/08   2     2     2     2   I have been taking this medication for many months now and was increased from 30 to 60mg over time. I found I lost my appetite, had dry mouth, and would sweat easily. In the beginning, it was good, but I have noticed that I am mentally numb. I don't want to do anything, go anywhere, get involved in anything. I just sit at home and do nothing with absolutely no drive or desire. I have lost my personality and that glow I once had. Not sure about others, but most mornings, I don't care if I shower, put make up on or even brush my hair. I will go hours in pajamas without a thought. During the day, I want to sleep way too much and something I have not read that I should add is that my sex drive has totally died. Its just none existant. Lately, all I eat is candy, chocolate and junk and cannot stop no matter what I try. Doc is increasing to 90, and I will comment later on how that has worked for me, but I expect the worst. RID: 5361
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    5/14/08   2     1     2     1   i agree w/ 2 down. I was on this medication for 4 days, those days i was a zombie. I heard what people where saying but i had no desire to respond or even look at anything other than the wall. Even a hug from my loved ones meant nothing. I think i lost not just depression but happiness and every other emotion. I want my life back, not to not care about it. RID: 4958
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    1/13/08   4     2     3     5   I Have been on just about all anti-anxiety,depressession meds that have been put out there. I feel that this one has worked the best. I also wonder who I am if I were not to take it.!!!! I need it for pain, as well as depression, anxiety. I know that the Dr's are really trying to help me out , and trying to make me comfortable at the same time. I am blessed to have good honest Dr.'s I have had the same Dr.'s for many years now, and they have always been very informative about the medications I have been put on or taken off. My surgens work with my family Dr. and my phychirist, works with all of the above as well. I am really not on that much medication, but I do not need it interacting with each other. I do want to be around for another 60 yrs if I can. RID: 4091
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    1/3/08   1     1     3     3   Stay away!! I didn't have a chance to find out if it improved my anxiety/mild depression because the side effects after just ONE PILL were absolutely horrible. I woke up in the middle of the night with my mouth as dry as tree bark, and I felt as dizzy as a drunk at a wine tasting. I couldn't even reach for my bedside bottle of water because I thought I was going to vomit everywhere. The whole rest of the night I continued to squirm, writhe and sweat like a heroin addict going cold turkey. I felt horrible the next day..in fact, the next 36 hours. I prayed for the medicine to leave my system, and my only relief came when i scheduled an immediate appointment to see my doctor. RID: 4029
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    12/8/07   5     5     5     5   I literally tried every antidepressant on the market. After five years of going on and off different medications, Cymbalta has been the only one that has been effective. It really has saved my life. Of course, medication alone doens't cure depression, but it gave me the fighting chance that I needed. Cymbalta, change in lifestlye and diet, and the practice of yoga has given me hope and a happy life. RID: 3874
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    11/5/07   2     1     3     2   I was put on Cymbalta for nerve pain which it has not helped. I was not depressed at the time. I started on 60mg, had severe nausea and headaches, then was moved to 30mg, the same thing, so then 20mg and from there went back up to 60mg. It has been 4 months and I want to get off of it. The Dr. gave me 30mg for a week and then is going to give me 20mg. I hope this works! I haven't been sleeping because of it! Be careful before you start taking it, it is expensive and horrible to get off of! Not to mention all the drug interactions! RID: 3697
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    11/3/07   5     4     5     3   Cymbalta worked immediately (first day) in lifting my depression, and with only 30mg. My only negative side effects were nausea (passed after a few weeks and did help me lose 3-4 pounds) and loss of libido. After 4 months it seemed to lose effectiveness, but when I increased dosage to 60mg, it worked again for 7 more months. Then it seemed to stop working as well, so I'm being phased to Wellbutrin (which will hopefully address the libido issue). RID: 3687
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    10/28/07   4     4     5     4   After being on many anti-depressants this was the last one I tried. For me, the only side effect that I felt was hyper and kind of revved up---which made sleeping at night difficult. I was on it for 3 years and it worked. It seemed to regulate the seratonin in my brain and I was able to go off of all anti-depressants. RID: 3649
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    10/20/07   4     1     4     3   I would never suggest anyone to take this drug. At first it seems to work, but you soon learn the side effects. Sick on stomach, dizzy, weight gain, etc. Trying to get off of it seems almost impossible. I have started making my own homemade dosage. I split the capsules. I am now down to 7mg every 5 days. I still have withdrawl symptoms. RID: 3583
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    10/18/07   3     2     3     3   I have taking anti depress drugs for about 10 years. My last one was cymbalta. i have moved and due to no job yet and no insurance (or prescription), i have run out. The withdrawal side effects are the worst...I almost just passed out in the car the other day. not from tired, your brain just doesn't want to do it. it wants to stop. I hope that this gets over soon. RID: 3578
Click to report rating
 9/27/07   3     1     5     3   I believe this is the potion that Dr. Jekyl first concocted. When I first began taking the drug, it was great. I felt improvement in mood and depression associated pain. After first month went from 30 to 60 mgs. per dr instrux and problems started. Tinnitus, hypersensitivty to noise and light, brain and body "zaps" and general disorientation. Dr. cut back dosage to 30 and some symptoms went away. Tinnitus continued and depression returned. Took myself off of it a month ago and the withdrawal was horrible. Brain/physical zaps, lack of focus, panic attacks and severe depression and social phobia. At this point, only occasional brain zaps, but tinnitus continues. RID: 3390
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    7/15/07   5     5     5     5   I have been on Cymbalta 60mg for about 2 years. It has worked well for me when other anti-depressants did not. I was giving up hope. No none side effects. Caused some drowziness at a higher dose. RID: 2832
Click to report rating
 6/25/07   1     1     1     1   I was on this drug for a total of 6 weeks. It took me 8 to get off it. I am still feeling the side effects of this medicine. The "brain zaps", the nausea, depression, and a bunch of other effects of this drug are horrible. I have documented proof that this drug has caused me alot of problems. And the side effects didn't go away just because I came off of it, they are still happening. RID: 2702
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    6/14/07   3     3     5     2   I started taking this drug when it was brand new. It helped the depression at first, but then stopped working quite as well. I only remember one significant side-effect: complete loss of appetite. I was NEVER hungry. After four months, I switched to a different antidepressant, because the weight-loss was getting worrisome. I didn't experience any withdrawal symptoms, as i have with some other drugs. I've recently started taking it again, and my appetite is unaffected. I can't be sure about side-effects this time, as I started taking birth control pills the same week, and i don't know which one is making me feel ill. RID: 2626
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    5/27/07   2     1     1     1   This drug is too new for anyone to have much experience with the side-effects or how to get off of it. It is comparable to Effexor as it is a SSNRI and works on norepinephrine as well as serotonin. I was prescribed this for depression and anxiety. It seemed to help at first; but it made me very tired and lethargic. I also have experienced rapid weight gain, mood swings, nervousness, insomnia and headaches. Quitting it has been almost impossible because of horrible withdrawals (headaches, dizziness, flu-like symptoms). The lowest dosage is 20mg, and it only comes in a delayed-release capsule so it cannot be split or compounded. There seems to be no recommended discontinuation plan. My doctor suggested taking it every other day; which caused horrible withdrawal symptoms. Either be ready to take this forever or brace yourself for the sickness of a discontinuation syndrome that is as bad or worse as that of Paxil. RID: 2464
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    4/18/07   3     1     1     1   Research this drug before taking it. It helped slow down my brain when I needed it. I had a very tramatic experience in my life and it helped me for a few months. I went off cold turkey and I had horrible withdrawls. This is a very strong drug and I will never go back on it again. It didn't allow me to feel anything (good or bad) or think straight. RID: 2241
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    3/12/07   5     4     5     5   I have a long history of pain, depression and anxiety. Recently family doctor put me on litium and i went off the charts. Thought I has a pet turkey. I was imagining all kind of things as well as suffering from lower back pain and neck pain.I am on a plan now tht goes to no lithium NOW. Stop ledxapro slowing while going on Cymbalta. I am still in the process but I can tell you this if the results continue I will be the happyest person on earth. I have dealt with these issues for over 5 following a sever car accident. I feel so much better arter only 7 days. I am so excited. A chance to live while my wonderful wife who lived this can also live her life. We can live our life. RID: 1855
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    2/8/07   5     4     4     4   I have nueropathy in my feet and the DC. gave me Cymbalta do you know if it have helped anyone with this problem' Thank you RID: 1676
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    7/31/06   5     5     5     4   I have been taking Cymbalta for 18 months. I LOVE IT!!! It has helped the pain from my fibromyalsa tremendously. Helped my depression. I have taken many other antidepressants and this is BY FAR the BEST! RID: 809
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    2/23/06   4     5     5     3   Cymbalta worked well for my depression as well as for my fibromyalgia pain, but sort of aggravated my anxiety (also having stressful times). RID: 602
Click to report rating
 1/25/06   5     4     5     2   Cymbalta has done wonders for me. I've been through a number of anti-depression drugs with varying results. I adjusted to it quickly, no side effects that I noticed. I've come out of my "mental closet" and am now upbeat and social. I doubt that "C" is meant for anxiety (my shrink has me on a specific drug for that). I assume that the "value" rating refers to $$'s; if so, my only complaint is that paying for it is painful. RID: 576
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    8/27/05   2     2     3     2   This drug did help a little to stabilize my mood. I felt really disconnected all of the time, however, and unemote. My anxiety continued to plague my thoughts and every couple of days I would get really bad dizzy spells. I was extremely tired if I took this in the morning. RID: 193
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    8/16/05   1     1     1     1   It's expensive. It made me nervous, irritated, tremors, & night sweats. To top it off I then attempted suicide. Dont take this drug RID: 113
Rate this drug

Add these ratings to your own website
* Rating left by a registered user

Best Rated Drugs in depression / anxiety disorders