DrugRating

Find, rate and review Drugs and Medications

Wellbutrin reviews

Add a picture of this drug Save this listing Search again
Wellbutrin
drug
Category:  Depression / Anxiety Disorders
Generic Name:  Bupropion
Profile updated: 7/17/05    Submit profile update    Subscribe to profile updates

average quality
Rating: 2.8 out of 5 based on 40 reviews.

Drug Wellbutrin has a fair overall rating on DrugRatingz.com.

New! - Questions and answers about this drug

Submit a news article about this drug Rate this drug
The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by DrugRatingz.com.
KEY Date

a

l

u

Comments

11/30/11   2     1     5     4   I was prescribed 200mg/day of Wellbutrin SR for my major depression disorder. I feel like my rating has a lot to do with my psych...but anyways... She told me to Take 100mg twice daily, 8 hours apart. I felt EXTREMELY out of my mind. You could pass this off as a legitimate "high." I dealt with the light-airy floating feeling, and saw my psychiatrist in three weeks as instructed. I was currently on Zoloft at that time (100mg/day) so she had me stop it, then increase the Wellbutrin SR to 400/day - 200mg/twice daily. This did NOT agree with me. I felt extremely dizzy and nauseous. I couldn't go to the store and walk around without having to find a piece of furniture to sit on because I felt like my balance was thrown off. Wellbutrin SR gave me the worst side-effects I have experienced with anti-depressants. I was decreased back to the initial 200mg dose, and today I saw my psych. I told her I really did not want any more of this. So I am being taken off and trying SSRIs again. RID: 8005
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
     4/19/11   SYSTEM: 6 positive duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed
Click to report rating    3/18/11   3     2     3     3   I've been on 300mg of buprion for about 2 months. I take it in the morning and I do have a bit more energy than I did before. But is makes me so dizzy that sometimes I just have to sit or lay down. It also gives me headaches and keeps me from sleeping at night. I've read that it can take awhile for these side effects to go away, so I'll give it a little more time but I'm definatly going to tell me doctor at my next appointment and see if this is normal. RID: 7771
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    10/30/08   4     3     3     3   I am on 300mg of Budeprion once a day. When I first starting taking this drug, maybe the first week and a half I felt like my stomach was really nervous. Almost to the point that I felt sick. I have been on it two months now, and I do feel better. It took almost a month to feel better though, and it was hard taking something everyday that I didn't think worked. The only side effect I have now is headaches. Not terrible ones, but just enough to be annoying. RID: 6120
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
     2/27/08   SYSTEM: 1 negative duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed
Click to report rating    2/25/08   4     2     5     4   I first was put on the generic bupropion, it has no effect. Then I read in the peoples pharmacy that lots of people had noticed this lack of effectness as well. I switched to Wellbutrin XL at the 300mg level. I noticed an increase in energy, a sense of optimism that had been missing returned, and the most unexpected good effect for me was loss of appetite. Not that it went away completely, but instead of eating a whole sandwich, I only wanted half. The DOWN side for me is hair loss. I noticed about a month after I starteed takeing it, my sink and hairbrush were full of hair. It was similiar to what happens after you have child. It was scary, but the benefits outweighed the negative. Until, one day, I could see through to my scalp! I posted a noticed on the depression support board at Oprah.com and someone wrote back and said she had hair loss too, but it stopped after awhile. I have dry mouth and tried 450mg dose, but I felt way too weird-spacey, forgettful, not "here". RID: 4363
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
     1/23/08   SYSTEM: 12 negative duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed
     1/4/08   5     3     3     5   I'm taking this for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome from Advance Lyme Disease. It helps. However, according to a recent review of the GENERIC subsitiute for this drug, THE GENERIC, Budeprion XL, DOES NOT FUNCTION IN THE SAME MANNER AS THE TRUE DRUG AND IS DANGEROUS. Please read the article at http://www.yourlawyer.com/articles/re... This article is also posted on MSNBC's website RID: 4033
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    12/30/07   1     1     3     3   Was on Lexapro, which I did not think helped. Switched to WB 150mg. Immediately lost 16 lbs, had more energy, AND FEEL LIKE I'M GONNA TEAR SOMEONE'S HEAD OFF!! I am generally a pretty cool person, but I know no one wants to be around me right now. Gripe all the time, lash out at people...PLUS, have developed this stupid fear that I think there are ghosts in my house! My house even feels different to me. Going back to dr this week to get off this drug!!! RID: 4005
Read this rating's feedback
Click to report rating    12/4/07   3     3     3     3   I am on Day 4 of 300mg Budeprion XL. I took this med for about 10 days a few months ago and developed hives (really bad!).I want to give it a try again. So far I have a lot of sweating- I am so hot when no one else is- I slept 45 minutes two nights ago & 5 hours last night (BTW I usually sleep a good solid 8 hours w/o meds)- I feel very easily irritated-I have hallucinated at night & weird dreams- felt high for a few seconds- sort of out of body feelings too- increased sense of hearing- I hear every little noise now- decreased appetite- I really hope it helps me after some more time~~~God Bless You~~~ RID: 3853
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    11/26/07   3     2     4     3   I started this medicine at 150 mg and increased to 300 mg. This was a horrible experience. I started get really bad anxiety attacks, headaches, uncontrollable shakiness (especially in my hands) overall it made me feel like****. After I went back down to 150 mg it seemed to be working. I felt better and seemed to have more energy and my sex drive seemed to go up. That only lasted a few weeks and my husband started noticing that I was acting really irriatated and would cry for no apparent reason. This medicine also made so irritable that I found myself saying hurtful things to the people I cared about just because I didn't care what I said or how I felt. This has been horrible for me so I am slowly getting off of it and soon to be on something that works a little better with less side effects. RID: 3824
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    10/17/07   5     5     5     5   this drug is a GODSEND!! cleared up my depression and made me have an actual sex drive when i never had had one before.. ever.. now i am normal lol RID: 3550
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    10/1/07   5     3     5     5   Okay, this drug has really helped my depression. Even gave me some interest back in my sex life. After 6 months and increasing gradually I have now this month developed serious anxiety/panic attacks. Also, I no longer have any interest in sex (poor husband). I don't know if it is a side effect or new symptoms. RID: 3417
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    9/22/07   3     2     5     3   Took this for only about a week...then tried again about a month later. Definitely elevated my mood & energy...but definitely felt a bit like speed...jumpy & nervous and more anxious. Also, had a harder time focusing & remembering simple things like names & places. Also, FORGET about sleep...u are wired 24/7. Curbed my appetite, which was cool...but just didn't do ENOUGH in terms of why I had gone it om the first place. Otherwise, I found fairly free of other side effects. RID: 3345
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    7/18/07   4     1     4     3   I was on Wellbutrin 300 mg back in 2001 and had at least 10 side effects when I started it. I lost some hair, perspired excessively, heartbeat fast, shaky, constipated, couldn't sleep, had to go on sleeping pills to counteract, might have had some mood swings but really don't recall. The very worst thing was hallucinations at night! Frightening! HOWEVER, the very best thing that came out of it was I lost 26 lbs. and it helped get rid of my ADD symptoms. I could focus, had energy to get things done and overall made me think more clearly. The symptoms lasted about 3-4 wks. You build a tolerance to it afterwards. I am on the generic for Wellbutrin now in 2007 and so far, dizziness and nausea, none of the other side affects. Makes me wonder if its working.....This drug is not for everyone, though I stayed on it, I've never had so many reactions to a drug before or since! RID: 2846
Read this rating's feedback
Click to report rating    7/5/07   4     5     5     5   WELLBUTRIN IS AN ANTIDEPRESSENT WHICH I FIND GIVES ME ALIFT .NO SIDE EFFECTS .BUT ONLY ONE IS SUFFICIENT FOR ME AS IF I TAKE TWO I GET HYOPERACTIVE. RID: 2764
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    6/19/07   4     5     4     5   I've taken this on and off for 10 years for my depressions. I've never had any side effects from it, and up until the last time it worked wonders. Now I wonder if I'm just building a tolerance to it. Great for me, usually worked really fast at taking away the symptoms of my depression until this last time. I've gone off of it numerous time without any withdrawels from it. RID: 2665
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    5/22/07   3     1     3     3   So my doctor and I decided it would be a good idea to try wellbutrin (so i won't have to gaurd my adderall with my life in college)to treat both my depression and my ADD. When I first started it I had miserable side effects, it gave me a soar thoat (i'm a singer so thats not good at all) and made me dizzy (not like the room was spinning but my brain was spinning), these were kinda debilitating for the first 3 days. It started to get slightly better around the 4th or 5th day on the drug and I was feeling okay otherwise, on my 5th or 6th day on the drug I had a siezure ( after various tests it was determened that the drug caused it) I was on no more then 200 mg (i forget how much excatly but it was like 100-200). i was also on adderallXR at the time (i've been on that for years and never had a problem, and haven't had one since).(not sure if this matters but i'm also not a big person. i weigh no more thne 123lb and i'm 5'2 1/2" which may have made any reaction i had come sooner) RID: 2440
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    5/3/07   1     1     1     1   I started taking wellbutrin for anxiety.It made my panic attacks worse then before.I also started having some pains in my head.I quit taking it after two weeks.The pain in my head stopped right away.But I am still having bad panic attacks,and I just don't feel like myself. Now I have just decided to exercise harder,watch my diet,and take vitamins.Because after that I am never putting another drug like that in my body again!I wish I would have never taken it to begin with.I also think doctors should be a little more informative to their patients about possible side effects while on,and even getting off of this drug,and that people should REALLY think it through before deciding to take this medicine!!! RID: 2330
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    4/29/07   2     1     3     2   I started taking Wellbutrin for depression. The first few days I basically felt like I was on speed; I couldn't sleep, couldn't eat, and couldn't hold still. It made me very agitated and I had bad mood swings. I also felt paranoid and had terrible panic attacks. I only took it for two weeks, but it I such a mess that I had to stop. I almost lost my job and broke up with my boyfiend. I was not myself anymore. I felt like a crazy woman and I was only on 150 milligrams a day! I am STILL experiencing side effects weeks after stopping - especially anxiety. Be CAREFUL with this drug. I think it can be dangerous for some people. Also; VERY IMPORTANT: do NOT mix alcohol with Wellbutrin. I did once and I had a two hour blackout which apparently is not uncommon!!! Yikes!! RID: 2313
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    4/22/07   5     1     5     1   I have suffered from depression most of my adult life. Zoloft helps but I decided to use exercise and diet to try to control. I didn't want to be on meds for the rest of my life. I'm a smoker and went to my doctor for help. She prescribed Wellbutrin. This medication made me very nervous and angry. My mood swings were unbearable. It helped me quit smoking but I'd rather smoke than feel the way I felt on this drug. RID: 2260
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    3/29/07   3     3     3     3   Worked great for about 2 years. Then I noticed that I was starting to have panic attacks. I'm now switching to a different pill. RID: 2050
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    12/6/06   2     1     2     1   After taking Wellbutrin for about 16 days...I thought it was helping...but two days ago I started with tiny red pinpoints on my chest and stomach...next day it was welts...went to see my PC and he put me on high powered cortizone tabs and a cream...it is worse still today...redder...bigger welts especially across chest...I am going to an allergist today... I wish I had never heard of this drug. RID: 1314
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    11/13/06   1     1     1     1   I had depression and anxiety and this drug made the anxiety much worse. Also, it was too expensive at that time, so I had to stop taking it. RID: 1205
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    10/21/06   1     1     5     5   This was a very bad drug for me. It made me much worse and I developed Migraines, my panic attacks became worse and I became very paranoid. I have stopped taking this medication, be very careful if you developed worsen effects while on this. I thought I was going crazy. RID: 1119
Click to report rating
 9/20/06   3     5     5     4   had absolutely no side effects. only take 200mg with another anti-depressant. it has lifted my most significant anger bouts, which bordered on criminal. so for that i'm grateful RID: 1048
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    9/20/06   2     1     1     1   I started taking Wellbutrin to help my depression. It worked well, until I had a SIEZURE (which is one of the SIDE EFFECTS!!!). Let me tell you this drug was not worth the pain an anguish of losing my license for a month and all of the medical tests I had to take, which weren't cheap. Now I have to take anti-seizure medicine. RID: 1040
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    12/12/05   2     1     2     2   It made my ears ring for the month I took it and I did not feel any positive effects to make it worth while. RID: 507
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    11/30/05   5     4     5     4   I had depression and anxiety and was taking fluoxetine (Prozac) for it. That eliminated the problems, but also eliminated my sex drive and general joy and passion for life. Adding Wellbutrin counteracted these negative side effects, and now I feel great! My psychiatrist has educated me that Prozac decreases anxiety, while Wellbutrin can increase it. So, I can guess that Wellbutrin alone would not have been good for me. But the combination of drugs works well. Please make sure you go to a knowledgeable psychiatrist who will spend time getting to know you and your issues, and who will do follow-up appointments to make sure your drug mix is tuned just right for your personal needs. RID: 460
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    11/29/05   4     3     2     4   Celexa stopped working so I tried 300mg of Wellbutrin a day. It didn't seem to work as well and made me slightly more edgy. It also doubled my sex drive. I now take 450mg a day along with Lithium which is a good combination and now I have no side effects at all. RID: 449
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    10/10/05   1     1     2     2   My family had a history of depression and my mother took this for a month or two and it was awful. She said she felt like her heart was going to jump out of her chest because it was beating so fast and that she felt shaky. She was a total beast while she was taking it. She obviously didn't feel better and was taking it out on everyone to the extreme. She was almost kind of scary, which is not like her at all. As soon as she switched back to zoloft she was back to normal. RID: 348
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    10/10/05   2     3     5     3   ehh....took it when other antidepressants failed or gave bad side effects. it didnt really help my depression, but there werent really a lot of side effects. only when i went up to 300mg did i start feelin a little speedy and my hands started shakin a little. RID: 339
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    9/20/05   2     1     5     2   I was started on this medication after I started showing a recurrence of depression. I have also had anxiety disorder. At the beginning, I seemed better and was feeling better. But at the third week, after my dosage was increased to 300mg, I started feeling hyperactive and panicky. Once, my mom had to come home from work early because I was freaking out and was not feeling good. I got off of this and got on Zoloft again, and I have had no problems since. RID: 279
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    9/6/05   2     1     1     2   The medication made me extremely nauseous and it lasted for a while after I stopped taking it, it made me shakey, I lost about 20lbs. RID: 238
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    8/20/05   4     1     3     3   when i started on wellbutrin i thought it was really great.. b/c there didnt seem to be many side effects ... i was suicidal soo i really needed som meds and fast.. then it started causing me to have strong feelings about food and eating and my weight.. and then i started to develop an eating disorder.. that was terrible.,. i started zoloft and its a lottt better RID: 150
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    8/16/05   1     1     1     1   My doctor said it would not effect me sexually. Well it made me sick so I never got a chance to see if it effected me sexually. I had bad side effects but ir was only 75mg. RID: 115
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    8/14/05   3     3     4     3   Did much better than Zoloft for depression. Although I have constant ringing in my ears, esp. when I'm hungry. Some night sweating in the beginning, but fades after 3-4 months. I feel less fatigued, less irritable, and have a better appetite. Overall, at 150 mcg, this is the most mild anti-depressant I have used compared to Zoloft and Paxil. I recommend it, although I do not get the smoker's benefits. RID: 99
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    8/7/05   1     1     1     1   DO NOT TAKE if you have PANIC DISORDER. While driving down the road - I had a huge panic attack even worse than ever before. I thought I was going to die on the interstate. I had to pull over for an hour and then get back on the interstate after I feared for my life - and I drive the interstate everyday. This drug is terrible. Will drive you crazy RID: 68
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    8/6/05   5     5     5     4   My depression caused me to feel SO tired, and Wellbutrin really helped me get out of bed in the morning...and I NEVER had any kind of insomnia issues. No sexual side effects either, and it helps with cigarette cravings. An all-around great medication in my case! RID: 65
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    8/4/05   1     1     1     1   Caused my wife to hear whispering voices from the bedroom closet. She had no prior history of psychosis and the symptoms stopped as soon as she discontinued use. She has taken other anti-depressants with no problem. Be careful with this crazy stuff. RID: 53
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    7/31/05   2     2     2     2   Also known as a stop smoking drug. It's not hugely effective and can cause some mania issues...the pill is routinely crushed and snorted for the euphoria that it brings by stupid teenagers. There are more effective antidepressents out there. I felt jittery and a bit paranoid while on it. RID: 45
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    7/21/05   5     3     4     4   This medication was a wonder working pill. It really lifted my mood and my fatigue, but I couldn't continue taking it because it caused constipation from 2 weeks to a month and I was getting sick all the time from it. It helped me to quit smoking though. It took away some cravings. RID: 22
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    7/17/05   4     4     3     4   Not sure if that effective in the first four weeks of therapy. Information says that it may take several weeks to feel the full benefit. RID: 18
Rate this drug

Add these ratings to your own website
* Rating left by a registered user

Best Rated Drugs in Depression / Anxiety Disorders