DrugRating

Find, rate and review Drugs and Medications

Lipitor reviews

Add a picture of this drug Save this listing Search again
Lipitor
drug
Category:  cholesterol / triglyceride reduction
Generic Name:  Atorvastatin
Manufacturer:  Pfizer
Website:  lipitor.com external link
Profile updated: 7/8/05    Submit profile update    Subscribe to profile updates

average quality
Rating: 3.2 out of 5 based on 18 reviews.

Drug Lipitor has a fair overall rating on DrugRatingz.com.

New! - Questions and answers about this drug

Q: Can this drug cause a false positive drug test?    Email me    Answer it
Q: Can this drug cause dizziness?    Email me    Answer it    See answers

Submit a news article about this drug Rate this drug
The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by DrugRatingz.com.
KEY Date

a

l

u

e

Comments

Click to report rating    2/25/13   4     1     4     3   cumulative side effects on muscles. i have taken the drug for 10 years RID: 8445
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    7/10/12   2     2     2     2   soppose to help colestrole but makea my back hurt. RID: 8268
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    2/13/12   5     5     5     5   This drug was very effective to me in reducing my cholesterol. RID: 8161
Click to report rating
 9/20/11   4     1     4     1   This drug made my ankle so swollen I could hardly even walk. My tendons were constanly swollen and sore. I could barly walk, I knew if something was not done I was headed for a wheelchair. I took it for 9 years. Got so bad that for the last 4 yrs I could not even wear a shoe just sandals. Even the weight of a sheet on the bed would be to heavy for it and it would ache all night. Thank god my doctor figured out what it was. It cripled me and changed my life in so many ways. I am now reclaiming my life and cant wait to be pain free. I could tell a difference within 12 hours of not taking it that it was the drug cripling me. RID: 7938
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
     4/19/11   SYSTEM: 2 negative duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed
Click to report rating    3/21/10   4     5     5     4   Have been taking 10mg daily for 3 years. No side affects. It has helped control my cholesterol. There is a UK study (according to my Doctor) that the UK gov't is going to recommend all persons 40+ use this drug because it has proven to save lives (sic) RID: 7381
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    12/22/09   5     1     2     2   Been on this drug for about a year and had a sudden onset of extreme muscle/joint pain in legs from calf to knee to hip. Went to doctor after 4 days of this and being unable to do regular household cooking/cleaning/shopping/walking. He immediately took me off this drug and I already feel better. RID: 7268
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
     12/21/08   SYSTEM: 3 negative duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed
     9/10/08   SYSTEM: 5 negative duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed
Click to report rating    9/2/08   4     1     5     4   I've been taking Lipitor for 10 years with minimal aches and pains. This past July I started having severe lower back pain. Then I started seeing blood in my urine. My doctor assumed it was a kidney stone and sent me in for a ct scan. Nothing was found, but my doctor told me to stop the Lipitor and sent me to a urinlogist. Another ct scan and a bladder scooping showed no adnormalities....thank God! I was off Lipitor for about 3 weeks and the pains were going away. Also, lab results was showing less blood in my urine. Still, the doctors didn't think Lipitor was the problem. The urinologist told me to continue my Lipitor. Two weeks after taking Lipitor my lower back pains came back. On my own, I decided to get off the Lipitor once again. It's now been one week being off Lipitor and I have no more lower back pain, no more leg pain, no more foot pain, no more headaches, and no more visible blood in the urine. Lipitor helped my cholestreol, but tore my body up. I'm now trying dieting. RID: 5692
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    8/10/08   2     1     2     1   i took lipitor for a month to lower cholesterol and had a bad neck ache which went away soon after i stopped takeing this drug. I was put back on a lower dose 6 months later and within 2 weeks had severe joint pain which prevented sleeping at night. 8 days later i am still having joint pain and taking advil hope it will go away in two more days like others had reported. I am scared.... RID: 5562
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
     4/9/08   4     1     5     5   developed severe neck pain,to the point where I was taking 8 Tylenol every day.Finally thought about side effects and decided to go off drug to see what resulted.Pain in neck subsided in days and within 10 days didn't require any Tylenol and was pain free. Went to my GP and discussed it and he agreed to try a little test. I was to go back on Lipitor and see if pain came back,which it did within 1 week and then go off to see if pain went away,which it did within 10 days.He then agreed to take me off Lipitor and manage cholesterol with diet and exersize.Strongly suggest researching side effects of drugs and monitering onset of aches and pains.Always consult GP before doing any independent trials. RID: 4725
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
     7/6/07   3     1     3     3   Extremely expensive for its value. It also causes muscle deterioration. I could tolerate the medication for one year. When muscle pain progressed, I had to demand that the doctor drops it. RID: 2769
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
     6/23/07   5     5     5     1   This drug cost way too much although it is the only drug I will take for cholesterol. I had bad reactions with Crestor (although much cheaper). I feel the costs should be much lower. It has improved my cholesterol count. RID: 2689
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
     6/20/07   5     5     5     5   I had been on Lipitor for 6 years when my doctor and I decided that I had changed my diet, and excercised enough to go off the medicine. Within 6 months, my cholesterol is out of sight, and I am going back on Lipitor. I have had no side effects, and believe Lipitor literally saved my life. RID: 2673
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
     5/31/07   5     1     5     3   This drug destroyed the muscles in my legs and I was only on it for a couple of months. I still have no strength in my legs because of Lipitor. Also doctors don't tell patients that they have to take CoQ10 when they are taking statin drugs. I had taken Pravachol and Zocor for years before with no problems at all. I quit the Lipitor but had to go back on Pravachol because my lipids were very bad. RID: 2482
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
     5/20/07   5     5     5     5   It greatly reduced my bad cholesterol as well and with no noticed side effects. *Note I take CoQ10 twice a day because I take Statin drugs. Highly suggested by my Doctor. RID: 2420
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
     12/20/06   4     1     3     2   Muscle pain in the legs, joint pain in hips, knees, upper and lower back. My doctor tells me I have some arthritis, but most of the issues seem to have come about when I started to use Lipitor. I am going off it for a while and see if there is any improvement. RID: 1380
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
     11/28/06   1     1     1     1   Lipitor (and other statins) caused great muscle pain and joint pain. I was taking Lipitor about a month and I thought that arthritis had set in all my joints. I could not even lift my arm above my head to comb my hair. I could not reach my arm behind me to put on a coat. That is how bad the joint pain was. My leg muscles ached so bad. I went off Lipitor and within 10 days my joints were back to normal, but it took nearly a year and half for the leg muscle to quit aching. When a friend of mine tells me about quick onset of arthritis, I always ask them if they are taking Lipitor or any statin. If they are, I tell them my story and they invariably come back to me and say "thank you I went off the statin and my joints are normal again." Thank you so much for the advice to quit the statin drug. RID: 1285
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
     12/24/05   4     4     4     3   Out of the many cholesterol lowering drugs I have tried this one works the best for me. I get the same side effects with all the statins I've tried, which is muscle achiness. It does subside after i'm on them for a while. I'd rather not take any of these drugs, but what choices do we have if we want to reduce our risk of heart disease. There aren't many options for people who have familial hypocholesterolimia. Yes exercise works and reducing weight helps, but I only get a benefit when I'm training like a professional athlete, which is 2 or more hours of high intensity exercise per day and reducing my weight to a level that my body fights me to maintain, and I'm not obese. I'm 5'8" and weigh 170lbs. I've seen results when I've gotten down to 150lbs, but that weight is extremely difficult for me to maintain. RID: 528
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
     10/22/05   4     1     4     1   Dr started me on 40 mg & within 15 days, my system reacted badly. I might have had an alergic reaction...very bad...from head to toe. Took myself off of this nasty drug. Also, much too expensive. RID: 377
Rate this drug

Add these ratings to your own website
* Rating left by a registered user

Best Rated Drugs in cholesterol / triglyceride reduction