DrugRating

Find, rate and review Drugs and Medications

Wellbutrin XL reviews

Add a picture of this drug Save this listing Search again
Wellbutrin XL
drug
Category:  depression / anxiety disorders
Manufacturer:  GlaxoSmithKline
Website:  wellbutrin-xl.com external link
Profile updated: 9/13/05    Submit profile update    Subscribe to profile updates

good quality
Rating: 4.0 out of 5 based on 22 reviews.

Drug Wellbutrin XL has a good overall rating on DrugRatingz.com.

New! - Questions and answers about this drug

Submit a news article about this drug Rate this drug
The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by DrugRatingz.com.
KEY Date

a

l

u

e

Comments

Click to report rating
 4/15/14   4     1     3     3   After 2 weeks of daily use, something just clicked in my head and I was goal-oriented and ambitious again. My concentration and focus was very keen and sharp then, the side effects started. I developed a sunburn-like skin rash that was SEVERE. I became extremely emotional, went on eating binges, cried at the drop of a hat and had the libido of a 18 year old male. I did not like any of the side fx so I discontinued it and feel into depression and brain fog again. I was on a very llow dosage but the half-life of the XL version of Wellbutrin was too long for me. RID: 10242
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    10/8/13   3     4     5     5   Feel a little anxious the first day, but had to go off Celexa because of the mind fog and body twitching. RID: 8564
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    6/21/12   5     4     4     4   I've been on Wellbutrin 150mg for 2 months so far. I stopped taking it before because of muscle cramps, but I've avoided that now by staying hydrated. Sometimes insomnia kicks in with this, and my appetite goes from none to regular. It has helped my mood a lot, its helped my mood swings, stopped frivolous spending, and made me more positive and less emotional. I feel it has improved my anxiety, my depression, and also my attention span. I never wanted to start taking meds but this one has helped me so much more than all the other ones I've tried and I've tried a lot. RID: 8248
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
     1/23/12   4     2     3     4   I have been on wellbutrin xl 150mg for 2 weeks now, no weight loss so far, and no elevated sex drive yet, but I found was very helpful is that I finally am defending myself against my very verbally abusive partner. I give him back what he gives me and more... my self esteem has improved, hopefully I will give up the smokes, which was the reason for going on these pills. RID: 8139
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    6/20/11   5     5     5     3   This drug saved my life. The only problem is my insurance doesn't cover it. But every time I go off, I become depressed again. I hate that I need it... but it works better than everything. No side effects whatsoever. RID: 7871
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    4/6/11   5     4     5     5   i was on wellbutrin xl for apprx'ly 8 months for severe post-partum depression. having never been depressed, this was very scary to me. the wellb xl helped greatly to reduce the depression, with minimal side-effects that lasted last than a week. after the first week, i only had the great benefits of wellb xl. HOWEVER, after about 7 months, i started feeling very very anxious and aggressive; uncontrollable and very unlike me. all i can assume is that my original PPD had naturally subsided (ie. my horomones, etc were back to pre-pregnancy) and now i was getting some very unwanted side-effects from long-term use of wellb xl. so i guess, be aware...if the drug works well for you as it did for me then great, but keep an eye on long-term side-effects such as increased anxiety, agitation, aggression because these may be signs that it's time to stop the wellb. this is what i did, and 2 weeks after stopping i feel like i felt before my pregnancy- not depressed, not anxious, etc. RID: 7801
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    2/19/11   5     4     4     5   After being missed diagnosed with sinus infections migraines TMJ I finally found a doctor who figured it out depression, on my first visit and prescribed Wellbutrin after I could not tolerate Cymbalta. Side effects like constipation go away in about a month so stick with it. This drug has been around forever and I like they v new drugs. My doctor and this drug gave me my life back. Im convinced. Hope this helps. RID: 7728
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    6/29/10   4     2     4     4   I have been on Wellbutrin XL for just under four years now. It was initally very effective, but now my depression, mood swings, irritability, etc. are sneaking back up on me. RID: 7482
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    7/9/09   5     3     5     5   I take zoloft, wellbutrin xl and lorazepam for around 5 years. Originally only on zoloft and lorazepam. But couldn't get out of bed. Went to Doc for meds management, she added wellbutrin xl 300mg daily. I can stay awake and feel alive now. My depression was horrible, didn't know how bad it was till I started taking the meds. It takes a while to find the right combo. The med. manager doc really knew what to add to mix. RID: 6973
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    6/18/09   1     1     5     1   i was given this drug after my second baby to prevent me from having post partum depression again. the first 3 days i took it i felt great, the fourth day the headache started, and i cud NOT sleep at night and wen i did i had terrible scary dreams that i cud not wake up from. it gave me a serious MIGRAINE for 8 days.nothing helped it i sat in my room under covers for 8 days. the only thing i liked about it was the weight loss. lol. RID: 6943
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    12/26/08   3     5     5     5   I took it because I was experiencing some "mental fog" that wouldn't go away. I took 150 mg and there was an increase in my clarity of thought. This wore off after a few months. I then went up to 300 mg - there was no effect. I then added 400 mg of SAMe, and my fog went away completely. The problem: this has now worn off as well! I would say that, for me, Wellbutrin is a good drug - when it works, but it****ed out way too quickly; it didn't even work consistently for one year. RID: 6478
Read this rating's feedback
     12/7/08   5     3     5     5   I have been on and off wellbutrin for 7 years. I would disagree with it being listed as an anti-anxiety med (it makes you a little speedy which is counter-intuitive for anxiety). It doesn't do anything to help with my anxiety...but unlike Celexa it doesn't add to it. My doctor had me on Celexa on two different occasions (separated by 3 years). Neither of us could remember if it worked when we saw it on my chart. BAD IDEA, it only took me a month to remember why it was only in my history for a few months the first time, not because it made me better in such a short period of time but because it made me too paranoid to leave my house. Not the best treatment for depression. The only side effects I have from wellbutrin xl 150mg is a lack of appetite. I don't know I'm hungry until I'm dizzy. If you try to keep to scheduled meals and snacks, rather than letting your body tell you you're hungry, than this is the best anti-depressant out there. RID: 6373
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    10/28/08   4     5     5     5   I have tried Celexa, Zoloft, Prozac, Paxil, Abilify, Neurontin, Effexor; none of which helped. I have been on Wellbutrin for about 2 years and I honestly feel like it saved my life. It is unlike any other medication I have ever tried and I am thankful I am on it. I wouldn't be here otherwise. Also, i've lost about 15 pounds without trying. RID: 6105
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    9/14/08   5     4     5     4   I have depression with anxiety, and have been on lexapro, zoloft, prozac, and wellbutrin XL. WellbutrinXL was the only one that left me with a clear head, and got me out of the pits of depresson. I do have to take an occasional xanax or two, for anxiaty, but its not near as bad as before I started taking wellbutrinXL. All I can say is it saved my life. 150mg twice a day. RID: 5790
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    5/4/08   5     4     5     5   I started taking Wellbutrin XL about 2 years ago. The only complaint about initial side-effects I would have to say is the nausea while you're getting used to it. I had my doctor prescribe Zofran (an anti-nausea/anti-emetic medication) to help with the first couple of weeks because I have a severe vomit phobia. I still get up frequently at night (every couple of hours) but it's not that bad. As far as weight loss goes, I lost over 30LBS while on this medication which I'm not sure is a good or bad thing since I have become extremely weight-obsessed. Before Wellbutrin, I was fine with my body image and weighed in at a healthy 128lbs for my 5'3" frame. My lowest weight on this medication was 96lbs. I'm currently at a steady 104 and eating healthy. However, I wouldn't stop this medication for anything because it just makes me feel so much better than before. My sister was recently prescribed this medication too and it's doing wonders for her weight as well. RID: 4903
Click to report rating
 4/12/08   1     1     1     1   this med has a really good reputation, but it didn't work for me. it made me even more depressed. the only drug that lifted my depression was prozac. RID: 4774
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    1/4/08   4     5     5     4   I started taking Wellbutrin XL 150 mg about four months agop. was definitely a little weird at first...like speed! Jumpy, jittery, no appetite, memory issues, sleeplessness, increased anxiety. But these symptoms DID go away with a couple of weeks & now I feel great! Unfortunately you DO get your appetite back! That is one symptoms I wish hung around! I have heard Wellbutrin can increase your sexual appetite. I have noticed a change in the regard one or the other. All around...good results. RID: 4034
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    6/29/07   4     4     5     5   I have been on Wellbutrin XL for about 4 months. For the first month or so, I had no appetite at all, but I consider that a good side effect. I lost about 5 - 10lbs. This drug stabilized my mood, cleared my thinking, and has just made life much happier. Although I am very happy with Wellbutrin XL, my depression symptoms seems to be coming back a little. Not near as bad as before I started the medication, but I can definitely tell I've been a little more down lately. I'm only taking 300mg, so I'm going to talk to my Dr. about upping the dose. I think that should take care of it. RID: 2727
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    6/5/07   5     3     4     4   This stuff really helped me. I had been on all kinds of SSRI's for a long time but after increasing the dose or changing meds, eventually the depression would come back for a while. Not like pre-medication, but still bad. Eventually my psychiatrist prescribed regular wellbutrin which helped alot. I had trouble sleeping/staying awake and w/anxiety so he switched me to XL version. This made it even better. Been on 600mg for a while without problem. Now going down to 300 mg. Wish me luck! RID: 2501
Click to report rating
 4/13/07   5     5     5     5   I started taking Wellbutrin XL 150 mg recently for anxiety and mild depression. I wasn't sleeping at night and would stay in bed until 11 am if I did manage to fall asleep and missed class frequently. After just a few days on this medication, I was sleeping through the night, getting up on time and having very few panic attacks. Overall, I just felt back to normal. At first, I took it in the afteroon after I had it filled and it kept me up. But I started taking it as soon as I got up and have had no problems. Also, for the first to weeks I had NO appetite *which was not a bad thing as I had been stress eating* and didn't think about eating until I started to get dizzy or cranky. I lost 15 pounds the first 2 weeks and I have regained control of my eating. It works great and is a preferred brand on my insurance, so the copay isn't too bad. There's also a new generic for the 300 mg XL, so the value is great if you take the higher mg. RID: 2219
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    2/13/07   3     4     4     3   After a year on the RX merry-go-round I finally told my Doctor that I wanted to try Wellbutrin. I knew after 3 days that my research had paid off. I had been on Paxil for 9 months. I felt "nothing"! Not happy, not sad, just numb. Weekends I would sleep until at least 2:00 PM. I was happy to sit on the sofa and in spite of eating very little I managed to gain 30 lbs.! I tried Zoloft for a week. I felt like I had my finger in a light socket 24 hours a day. I flushed them! Wellbutrin isn't perfect. I would say it improved most of my symptoms about 60%. I still need an occasional Xanax for anxiety. For me, Wellbutrin has no sexual side effects. When you are that depressed, the last thing a guy wants is for his sexual function to suffer. I didn't manage to lose much weight as some have reported with Wellbutrin, but at least I stopped gaining weight. Too bad there isn't a test to tell you which med will work best for someone. The "trial and error" routine gets frustrating! RID: 1703
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    12/13/06   4     4     5     4   the difference between my depression and life with wellbutrin xl was night and day-while depressed I'd spend days in bed w/out eating, showering, talking or taking care of myself-with wellbutrin, within a month I was going to work, laughing, and I didn't have to FORCE myself to get out of bed or shower or laugh, etc. SIDE EFFECTS: HUGE increase in sex drive, it was crazy, my boyfriend could hardly keep up, I also had my first orgasm (wow), I was really sleepy the first week then it went away (fight through it, it's worth it!), and I definetly had some more energy (starting bouncing my leg all the time and tapping my fingers)-I would also say that I did get a little bit more outspoken and aggressive, little things got on my nerves and I'd be more likely to mention it- but honestly? I was a DOORMAT before this so standing up for myself probably wasn't bad OVERALL: LOVE it, BUT it quit working as well after 3months or so-I switched to zoloft but by then it had helped SO SO much it's ok RID: 1345
Rate this drug

Add these ratings to your own website
* Rating left by a registered user

Best Rated Drugs in depression / anxiety disorders