DrugRating

Find, rate and review Drugs and Medications

Ortho Novum drug reviews

Rate My Boss
Add a picture of this drug Save this listing Search again
Ortho Novum
drug
Category:  birth control / contraceptives
Generic Name:  Necon, Ortho
Profile updated: 8/11/05    Submit profile update    Subscribe to profile updates

good quality
Rating: 4.1 out of 5 based on 28 reviews.

Drug Ortho Novum has a good overall rating on DrugRatingz.com.

The following postings have not been substantiated by DrugRatingz.com.

New! - Questions and answers about this drug

Q: is ortho novum related to yaz?    Subscribe    Answer it
Q: has it been associated with yeast infections?    Subscribe    Answer it

Submit a news article about this drug Rate this drug
KEY Date

a

l

u

e

Comments

Click to report rating
 5/9/13   3     4     5     5   I have been using Necon 1/35 (generic for Ortho Novum) for half a week. So far I have had no bad side effects. I have tried: Ortho Tri Cyclen, Nuva Ring, Yasmin, Yaz and Alesse. I did not feel myself on any of them. However, so far this has been OK. I am convinced that proper diet and exercise is the reason. I have been doing a lot of cardio and strength training and avoiding overly salty foods as well as limiting my carb intake. I drink tons of water too to flush my body, as this helps with the Estrogen side effects. The only negative thing I have noticed on Necon is that I get a headache at around 5pm. This could be due to working in front of the computer. I take the pill at 10pm every night. So far so good. I will check back with you in a few weeks. RID: 8493
Click to report rating
 1/20/13   5     4     4     5   I have two children and decided to go on this one after the birth of my son two years ago (my last baby). This pill is great, and I would recommend it to anyone! I have found that it also has dramatically reduced the frequency of my chronic daily headaches - bonus! Because it is a monophasic pill, the same amount of hormones stay in your system at one time. You should note that if you miss a pill (or two) you will spot. All in all, I love this pill! RID: 8423
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    8/7/12   5     3     5     3   I love this BC. I have been on this pill for about 4 months and all i have receieved is great results. My periods are not as heavy as before however my chest has grown since I have been taking them, which means I have gained weight but not too much. I won't be changing this BC for a while. So overall I definetly recommend! And it's not pricey at my near by Costco it's about $18! RID: 8296
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    6/24/12   5     4     5     3   I have been on Ortho Novum 7/7/7 for a little over a year now. I love this pill truly. I have had hardly any side effects (some mood swings/decreased sex drive at times) but the benefits were great! I have read that some people have had problems with this. Take heart, each person reacts differently to medications so the only way to know if it works is for you to try it. RID: 8252
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
     6/18/12   4     2     4     4   i was on this pill for one year. cleared my skin up, thats about it. I stayed on it for so long bc i was afraid to switch again but im glad i got off it. Horrible mood swings that i never related to this pill until now. Also monthly yeast infections and never had one before in my life. Switched to lutera lower dose hormone bc pill and reading the ratings for that pill they are bad but ive felt great on this pill so really to each their own RID: 8244
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
     8/26/11   5     1     3     1   This is a very strong dose of birth control. My sister experienced similar side effects to mine and got off of it herself, but I felt like I had no choice because I was trying to control irregular menstruation. I became very weak, began to lose muscle, was extremely depressed and would cry over nothing. Had many suicidal thoughts, gained tons of weight doing absolutely NOTHING differently, I don't gain weight easily, I always stay the same. NO SEX DRIVE. During the first two weeks of the pills my sex drive was zero. I didn't even want to be touched by my husband, no matter how much I tried. Dry eyes & lips, breast tenderness and enlargement, shortness of breath. This stuff is terrible, stay away. If you're looking for pregnancy prevention, do yourself a favor and use condoms. RID: 7917
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    10/28/10   3     2     5     4   I just started taking novum about 3 weeks ago because I was having constant bleeding and spotting. It worked right away stopping my bleeding, however I have now been spotting dark brown for almost a week. Gonna keep stayin on this for awhile though. Hopefully its just cause I took one of my pills late. RID: 7616
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    10/19/10   5     3     3     4   Started these pills 2 weeks ago. I now have severe cramping (so much that I wake up at night from pain), very sore ****, mood swings. I used to take lower dose pills before, and I didn't have any problems or side effects whatsoever... So, if I continue having these side effects, I'll have to stop taking it. Hope, I won't gain any weight in addition to that! Really wanted to like Ortho-Novum 1/35, but... RID: 7604
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    8/16/10   5     4     5     5   I've been on Ortho Novum for about 2 or 3 weeks now, and so far I love it. I have barely any side effects, the only thing I noticed was for the first three days only I had slight nausea for an hour or so after taking it, and on the first two days they amde it hard to see with my contacts, but that's the only problems I've had. No strange weight gain or loss at all, which was a huge relief to me because that was what I was most worried about. My mood actually seems to have improved actually, I've noticed I've been a lot happier as of late and tend to not cry over little things anymore like I used to do. It was also very affordable, I got it through Planned Parenthood for only $16/month WITHOUT insurance, as compared to the $50 I saw everyone else was paying. Thus far, I love it, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a new pill or starting on the pill. RID: 7535
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    6/8/10   5     3     5     5   I'm tired all the time that's the only side effects I've gotten from it. Like I'll be perky one minute and then random tiredness will hit me. But other than that,no changes of mood or appetite, or anything like that. RID: 7460
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    5/27/10   4     3     4     4   I just started taking Necon 1/35, the generic form of Ortho Novum 1/35, less than a week ago. Am feeling very fatigued and a bit moody (mainly when driving) I will continue to take them and see how they work out for me over the next couple of months. The previous comments helped me tremendously. I hope it goes away and my body get's used to the hormones. I'm a first time bc taker so I guess time will tell. RID: 7445
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    5/19/10   5     1     4     4   My doctor switched me to this pill after i was having issues with spotting from Ortho Tri Cyclen. Honestly, This pill made me feel like i was losing my mind! I have never dealt with mood swings from any other BC (Had major hairloss with the patch though) i had only a 4lb weight gain and no acne..but Ortho Novum made me feel fine one minute and the next i was crying and flipping out for no reason! I thought i was bipolar or something but my doctor told me it was because of this BC. Anyhow, i have switched to Lutera now. We will see how it goes... RID: 7442
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    5/7/10   5     5     5     1   I love this Birth Control. Been taking it for many years. Switched to Necon from Brand Name & found I had more side effects so went back to the Brand name. Although my insurance wont cover the brand name, its $50 a month well worth it!! Light periods, no wt gain, little bloating....no mood swings....love love love it!!!! Dr recommended Loestrin 24 that he had given me free samples of & after its only $30-$35 but I'm not gonna try after reading the ratings on here are so varied. RID: 7431
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    2/16/10   5     3     5     4   I have been on several pills over the years and by far this pill seems to suit me the best. I had very little side effects. To eliminate the nausea I would make sure I didn't take it on an empty stomach and would take the pill before bed. I loved the short and light periods. My face was clear, no cramps and very mild mood swings. RID: 7344
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    9/8/09   5     1     3     3   Ive been on this drug for only 12 days and the Ive been experiencing sever nausea, fatigue, intense mood swings, and for some reason im always gassy.Not to mention that Ive experienced rapid irregular heartbeat since beginning this pill.I was so depressed and didnt even want to THINK about sex and my poor husband was the one to endure all my crying fits to all the insulting rages and then to top it not wanting to have sex and just sleeping and laying around.I felt HORRIBLE and like i wasnt good for anything and i just didnt have the energy to even try to do anything.This is a very strong dose of hormones and my Dr. just switched me to Ortho Tri Cylen-Lo.I hope this pill is a dramatic change to Ortho Novum bc I never want to feel the way this pill made me feel again. RID: 7113
Click to report rating
 7/27/09   5     4     5     5   I've been taking Ortho Novum 1/35 (brand name, I can't take generic), for 3 months now. I really like it a lot, the only time I'm moody is slightly on my cycle, but nothing I can't handle. It is a bit of a high dose for some people, but it's been perfect for me. It helped clear up my skin and keep it under control. I never had a skin problem until I got off yaz, yaz really messed me up. I was on that for a year until I switched and I'm so glad I did. The only side effects so far was for the first three days I would have morning sickness but I'd sleep through that luckily. I also had some breast tenderness, and still do every now and then but nothing too bothersome. Over all I really like this pill. I know everyone says it, but different pills respond differently to different people. It's all about trying to find the pill for you, and this one is now mine. RID: 7011
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    1/4/09   5     4     5     5   I was on this pill for 3 years and loved it. It cleared my skin up. Had regular 4 day periods. Always started on the same day, also help reduce the cramping. The only bad thing was occasional bleeding during sex. I am getting reaady to get back on the pill and will use this same pill again RID: 6520
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    10/9/08   5     3     5     5   I've had to be on BC since age 15 for heavy periods- excessive bleeding, low iron. I've tried Estrostep FE, Orthotricylen and OTC-lo, Yaz, Loestrin, two I can't even remember the names and now Necon 1/35. Necon 1/35 works on my periods- short, normal periods- know when it starts and ends. Personal SEs: fatigue, possibly mood swings, weight gain, increased acne. I'm almost willing to deal with the SE's because my period is controlled and I dont have cramps/nausea or migraine or depression. I'm pretty tired of changing around. It's not bad $-wise, and I set an alarm to remind me to take it every night. RID: 5991
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    9/18/08   5     4     5     5   Brief history-been on Ortho 7/7/7 for 15 yrs, NO problems whatsoever,periods very regular & light. Then i began to have dark brown discharge a week before my period so my dr. switched me to Loestrin (Jun '07)-worked great 1st 3 months-no period/no spotting at all, then it returned. Periods changed-Feb '08 it never stopped, turned into hemorraghe-like bleeding. (had to go to the ER,nothing found,test results normal) She switched me to Ortho Novum 1/35,advised to take first 3 packs continously. Worked fine although i had an increase in vaginal discharge but no bleeding,abdominal discomfort; until the placebo week(Jun '8)-once again period didn't stop, very heavy, back to the ER w/ an emergency D&C to stop bleeding! Still on Ortho Novum 1/35 continuously...but have had 2 periods when i shouldn't be bleeding :( I think my body has developed an immunity to BCP's? Have an appt next month for more options. RID: 5826
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    9/5/08   5     5     4     4   I took Necon 777 (generic for Ortho Novum) for many years and I loved it. I recently switched to YAZ simply because I thought it would better control my PMS. That was the worst mistake of my life (check out mine and other YAZ reviews on this site if you're interested) and after three months, I am eager to go back to the Ortho Novum. RID: 5715
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    6/13/08   5     4     3     4   LOVED this pill except it didn't make my cramps go away and periods all that much lighter. Cleared up my skin beautifully, gave me soft skin, etc. First 2 months had nausea after beginning taking the first pill but 3rd month didn't have a problem. RID: 5185
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    5/13/08   5     4     5     5   I've Necon sub for Ortho-Novum for a year. I had very few side effects, such as little bloating, but the first few months it made me more hungry than normal. After that I had to adjust my eating habit switch to eating more fruit to control my appetite. But overall,it's pretty good, and I barely had period. RID: 4955
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    5/5/08   5     4     5     5   I took ortho novum 1/35 for a month and had very few side effects except for bloating and fatigue. I would have continued it but I found out that I have a clotting disorder, so I can't take a combination birth control pill. RID: 4910
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    4/1/08   5     5     5     5   I took Necon 1/35 (Ortho Novum generic) for about a year, and it was great! I had no side effects whatsoever. Loved it. RID: 4657
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    3/9/08   5     5     5     5   I have tried about 7 different forms of the pill. I like this one. My dr told me to take this because I had ovarian cysts, and this one should help. It is a stronger dose of the pill than others from what I understood. RID: 4479
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    9/19/06   5     4     3     3   I started Ortho Novum because I had severe acne. This pill works great to keep my skin clear. I don't have to feel like a monster anymore. I have regular and lighter periods with this pill with little to no cramps. RID: 1038
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    10/27/05   4     2     2     3   I agree with the previous user. I could not stand the vomiting and sick-feeling that this perscription gave me. So I stopped taking it, and am trying a new one. We'll see how it goes... RID: 390
Registered users can respond publicly to this rating
Click to report rating    8/11/05   4     3     2     4   I got my prescription from a free clinic, so I can't really comment on value. When I first started taking it, it caused mediu-severity nauseousness, especially at the beginning of the cycle, and minimal weight gain (5-10 lbs.) Not too bad as pills go. Periods are shorter and usually lighter, although not always. The every-day pill is a bit inconvenient, but far more convenient than a kid. Would recommend. RID: 90
Rate this drug

Add these ratings to your own website
* Rating left by a registered user

Best Rated Drugs in birth control / contraceptives