effexor xr

Main Forum

effexor xr

Postby kristinahiggs » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:18 am

Hi..
I am currently suffering from anxiety/panic attacks, this stinks! I am taking 75 mg of effexor xr and have been taking this for about 4 months and am on .5 of xanax and I take it about 2x per day. I am unsure about the effexor. I still on occasion have panic attacks. My doctor wanted me to take about 112 mg...omg I was soo tired. So I went back to the 75 mg. Is it normal to have panic attacks and be on meds for them? The xanax works great but I hate taking it cuz I get really sleepy. I really need some help here and am trying to figure out how I can stop having the attacks.
~Kristina~
kristinahiggs

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:10 am

Postby sandrawall » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:29 am

Efexor xr is anti-depressant medication, I am on 37.5mg http://www.internationaldrugmart.com/effexor-xr.html
sandrawall

Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:10 am

Postby tonyp26 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:02 am

Believe everything you here about quitting. It's rough!! I used for a year + and it was very useful. Actually least side effects except for Lexapro. My problem came when I had to go cold turkey due to a medical procedure. 3 days of hell. I had what they call "brain shivers" and headache with such sensitivity to light that I had to wear my dark sunglasses in my darkened apartment and it still was enough. I also had an episode where I woke up 3 am and saw the Devil's eyes in my digital clock. I was so damn scare that I just said in the other room in fear. For a long time you couldn't convince me it wasn't real. To this day I won't keep that clock in my bedroom. :)

So I decided I couldn't be on such a bad drug. I tapper off but I couldn't control my emotions and lost my cool at work. A week later I was let go from my 18 month temp. job several days before Christmas. :( I was borderline disabled with neck and back pain. I felt terrible for almost 5 mos. and it's true it's bad even off the medication. With a poor job outlook, no health insurance and bankruptcy looming I filed the bankruptcy and 6 days later I was struggling to get in the back of my Dad's pickup and I tore my meniscus in my knee along with other damage. I filed for bankruptcy 2 weeks later and four more weeks later my Father was diagnosed with terminal cancer. Than over 3 years later I was finally awarded my Disability benefit. I limped around for 6 months until my bankruptcy was over and I could use my one credit card that thankfully I still had. Eight years later I'm finally approaching having it paid off . That was a depressing year and it all started with Effexor withdraw.

Call me nuts but after 8 years later I'm considering going on it again because nothing else has worked as well and I'm hoping it will counter my heavy pain med use with depression and severe anxiety relief. I need more motivation and less frequent anxiety attacks with angina. But I guarantee if it doesn't work soon I'll be off it so quick your head will spin. :) But first I have to get off of Lamictal which I heard is no picnic. I've been lucky for the most part because I make quick judgements. Throughout it all Lexapro has been a good mainstay for me.

I hope this gives some good insight on what to be aware of. Be serious about taking any psych meds because if you think you can take for more than three months and get off you will pay in most cases and it's not for sissies. I'm in the position to where I will likely always need something because of my reaction to pain after so many years.

Another message if you have chronic pain using strong meds like morphine is a commitment that you must stick with. I hear so many people say they took for a few months or a year and they got worried about addiction. You have to commit that this is likely your life unless your health can improve somehow. Rare and morphine is last resort to control. I made the commitment and at know time have I worried in 7 years about addiction. Your taking the medication for pain. It is not fun and should fell addictive. The biggest problem I have are all the folks who can't see it as anything but addictive. And their is no craving at all. I reached an acceptable pain level and have been taking the same dose for three years. You made a commitment that your pain was bad enough to take it and never forget the way things were. I know I'm not better off.
tonyp26

Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:29 am

Postby tonyp26 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:18 am

Sorry for many typing errors. Bankruptcy filed after knee injury but did it ethically; I know that sounds dumb but this sort of thing is a terrible action and stains my name. :( Any way I couldn't have surgery because I wouldn't put more debt on my cards knowing I was going to file bankruptcy. So I chose to suffer on my bad knee for six months. Some kind of punishment I guess. :(
tonyp26

Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:29 am

Postby Jenny » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:56 am

I started effexor xr 1 month ago. I was depressed & have social anxiety disorder. I had my 1st panic attack in December 2012, I have been severely depressed since then. I was taking Zoloft until it stopped working. Then tried Lexapro. I tried Lexapro for 1 month. It made my skin crawl. The 1st week of Effexor I took 1-75mg then 2 pills for 4 days. I couldn't take the irritableness so went back to 1 pill for 3 days. Mood worsened. Disoriented.Ringing in ears.Unstable mood.Talked loud.Headaches.Gas.Diarrhea.Nausea. Sweats.Chills.Rocking.Noise sensitivity.Dizzy. Weak muscles.Paranoid.Hallucinations.Dry mouth.Mentally confused. I do not recommend Effexor xr to anyone.It has ruined my whole world.
Jenny